Anyone have a hand operated grain mill? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-04-2012, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'd love to hear what you think of it - what you love or hate about it. I've been shopping Amazon a little, and I've really decided I'd like some personal experience on this purchase. I only have $100, give or take, to spend.

We will be using it for wheat mostly, but also as a coffee grinder non-electric back-up.

I'm interested in how long it would take to grind, say, 6 cups of flour and how hard it is. Could a strong 8-year-old child use it? Is it easy to clean? Are replacement or maintenance parts needed regularly? If yours was more expensive than my budget, do you think it's worth it?

My typical routine is to bake bread twice/week, 3 loaves each time. 3 loaves = 6 cups of flour. Would I be OK with a non-electric version or would you go electric and just get a cheap-o hand operated mill for emergency use?

Thanks for any experience you can share!

-Julie

alivia, mama to sunshine dd (2003), snuggly dd (2009), & bonus baby (due 06/2010), homesteader, homeschooler, writer, lifelong learner
#2 of 13 Old 03-05-2012, 01:18 PM

The $57 or $69 on amazon by Victorio/Back to basics, with the dark brown plastic top - WORTHLESS, doesn't get fine enough and breaks!

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#3 of 13 Old 03-06-2012, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I was actually considering that one.

alivia, mama to sunshine dd (2003), snuggly dd (2009), & bonus baby (due 06/2010), homesteader, homeschooler, writer, lifelong learner
#4 of 13 Old 03-11-2012, 08:15 PM

I had the Back to Basics as well. It was worthless indeed.
#5 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone have a model they liked? Even if it costs a little more than $100...

#6 of 13 Old 03-19-2012, 11:33 AM

I was hoping someone would chime in with a good option!  I've coveted this one from Nova Naturals that they use at my son's school.  It is beautiful and works amazingly but 1) it is way expensive and 2) it is has been out of stock for a while. Hope you find a good option!

#7 of 13 Old 03-20-2012, 08:18 AM

Wow that is nice, but yeah that's expensive!

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#8 of 13 Old 04-24-2012, 07:15 PM

Oh, I've always coveted that Nova Naturals one, as well!  Doesn't a vitamix grind grains?  If so, it seems like a really good option, because it can be used for other things as well.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#9 of 13 Old 04-24-2012, 07:21 PM

oh, sorry you said "hand operated" ... so I guess that disqualifies Vitamix :D

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#10 of 13 Old 04-25-2012, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I'm looking at the Victorio Deluxe one, the reviews for making flour with it seem to be the best or the cheaper mills.

#11 of 13 Old 06-17-2012, 06:48 PM

http://www.lehmans.com/store/article/1268?Args= this site is more expensive but they have really great things.

there store i belive in in ohio but they ship out, the things they sale are for off the grid living, and built to last, they ahve everything from how to make your own cheese, adn the things you need to make it, ice cream machines,apple corers, food mills, flour mills ect.

#12 of 13 Old 06-20-2012, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Most of the reviews on lehman's mills I saw said it would make coarse ground, not really flour. But I love shopping them for other things!

#13 of 13 Old 06-27-2012, 10:34 AM

It's out of your price range but worth saving for!  I have a Country Living Grain Mill.  It does well from everything from fine flour to cracked grains.  I got tired of hand cranking though so we hooked it up to an old exercise bike.

When getting a grain mill, especially one you want to last I really recommend saving up.  I'm a cheapskate and always try to do things the cheap way, but this was one thing we just couldn't skimp on.  This mill will be passed down to my kids and possibly grandchildren...it's a hell of a mill.

loving a small homestead with DH and DS (12/2005) keeping it natural, frugal and back to basics :

Tags
Country Living , Off The Grid

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page