Country dream living - but for one catch. Cast your vote. Take it or not? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-07-2012, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Needing crunchy opinions....

Currently, my daughter and I and two dogs live on a main road in a suburb. We have found a country place that is pretty near perfect.

2 BR cottage on 1.5 acres

New roof, 1 yr old furnace, new windows

Rent slightly less than where I am now.

We can have chickens again.

Landlord offered to till up the large garden area.

Large perennial flower bed.

Mature Northern Spy apple tree.

Backs up to woods and trails.

Daughter can have her dreamed for tipi and swing and room to roam

Landlord does the lawn mowing and snow removal.

Possibility of eventually purchasing the place.

Landlord offered to put in an invisible fence for my two dogs.

Here's the catch: all of the woodwork - floors, window trim, stairs, bannister - was refinished in Jan with a high VOC oil based finish :(    It still smelled. The landlord was going to air the place out this week. He said he hadn't opened the windows yet b/c it was winter. We will go back and see how it smells. I am pretty chemically sensitive.

My thought is that we wouldn't move until April or May; we can turn up the heat to bake/cure the finish which speeds off gassing before we move in; we can spread activated charcoal around to absorb VOC's; we will have windows open til about October; plants; also looking into therapeutic grade essential oils which clean the air.

Thoughts? Opinions?

#2 of 10 Old 03-14-2012, 02:20 PM

I would definitely do it unless the smell simply does not improve and your body can't handle the chemicals.  It sounds like you have a good plan for making it work though. :) 

#3 of 10 Old 03-14-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmamato2 View Post

I would definitely do it unless the smell simply does not improve and your body can't handle the chemicals.  It sounds like you have a good plan for making it work though. :) 

yeahthat.gif

It sounds amazing.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#4 of 10 Old 03-15-2012, 04:00 PM

Can you make it clear that you are extremely sensitive and see if he will let you try living there for a couple months to see if you react to it? That way you're not breaching any contract if you decide it's too much for you? It sounds wonderful to me!

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#5 of 10 Old 03-15-2012, 04:17 PM

Sounds awesome. Air it out a bit first, but dont let that place slip away!

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#6 of 10 Old 03-15-2012, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'd do it. Especially coming into summer where we wouldn't be inside so much. By fall things most definitely should be settled down when the windows have to start being closed regularly. Everyone has their own comfort levels with this stuff though.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#7 of 10 Old 03-16-2012, 12:10 AM

It sounds weird but slice onions in half and leave them around the house on plates.  I cannot tell you why chemically but they absorb or counteract paint, stain, and other decorative chemicals.

#8 of 10 Old 06-05-2012, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we have been here for about 2 months now. We love it!! Feels like we are living in paradise! My daughter has her dreamed of tipi in the woods which friends helped to errect and paint Native inspired artwork on and she has her 3 sisters garden and an herbal/medicine woman garden. We have flowers galore and a big veggie patch and the landlord just tilled up another patch for melons! They are the *nicest* people ever! Even drove me 4 hrs roundtrip to help pick up the chicken coop!!

As for the smell, I found a great off brand air purifier that has carbon filters and another technology that removes VOC's. At first the smell was awful and we used the purifier and left windows open and snuggled under lots of blankets. I left the purifier running for the first 6 weeks straight! Now it is barely noticeable. Fortunately, the downstairs floors were not redone, although the window woodwork in the LR was.

Anyway, we LOVE the place :) Just had to post an update :)

Brees_Mama likes this.
#9 of 10 Old 06-06-2012, 09:12 AM

Yay! So glad your paradise worked out!

Jen - Partner to Joe, Craig, & Jordan grouphug.gif, mama to DS1 (7/13/99), DS2 (10/27/01), and DS3 (6/13/06), and DS4 born 12/13/12! Attachment Parent, co-sleeper, baby-wearer, Sudbury School founder & educator, PhD Candidate doing birth research, cloth diaper lover, GF (again), etc!novaxnocirc.gif

#10 of 10 Old 06-17-2012, 09:41 AM

Sounds like a dream home. So glad it worked out.

Tags
Country Living

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page