I started on my orchard :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-25-2012, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yesterday I woke up with tons of crazy ambition and planted 5 trees in my new orchard!  2 apple, 2 pears, and 1 peach tree!  I need to do some more grubbing- but then in April I am going to plant raspberries, blackberries, and grapes.  I am very excited :)  I am trying to do this all in steps so I don't get overwhelmed- but DH was rather impressed that I not only picked them out, bought them and brought them home- but I also had them all planted, mulched and watered by the time he got home from work!  I also love my orchard spot so much that I think I am going to put pumpkins and watermelons and cukes out there too and that will leave a lot more space in my garden.  Oh and strawberries too!  I am going to put those in my orchard too!  Which btw is conveniently located close to a hydrant- didn't even think about that when I chose the spot!  

my orchard is the second step in my average renovation plan- which is kind of a 5 year plan......

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#2 of 9 Old 03-26-2012, 01:05 AM

Awesome!  I'm looking forward to the day when I can plant some trees. It's so uplifting to hear you're getting to do it.

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#3 of 9 Old 03-26-2012, 03:22 PM

We are planting an orchard, too!  We have 2 8 year old peach trees already, and an apricot tree we never bought a mate for, until recently.  We just go it planted.  Looking for plum trees (will get sand plum trees dug up for free soon and planted in another, more wild, area), and have kefir pear seeds to get started.  Looking for some sort of apples that will grow ok here.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#4 of 9 Old 03-27-2012, 07:05 PM

Great fun.  I'm planting cherry trees and gooseberries this year (already have lots of raspberries and blackberries).

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

#5 of 9 Old 03-28-2012, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

What do you mean by a hydrant? 

#6 of 9 Old 03-29-2012, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

A water hydrant?  You know- what you hook a hose onto?  My orchard is by my cattle pasture which I forgot has a hydrant on the outside...  We have probably 6 on our average :)  I just forget about the ones I don't use all the time for calves.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#7 of 9 Old 03-30-2012, 06:12 AM

lol Around here we call them water spikets. We just moved to our place and we keep finding them everywhere, I think we're up to 5 now? We got our first tree in the ground last night, think I over watered it, hope I didn't kill it. Have another 8 to plant this weekend. I'm already tired just thinking about it. Think you'll stick to your five year plan? We had a 3 year plan.... trees were supposed to be next year.... I'm not good at following plans :p

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#8 of 9 Old 03-31-2012, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Well.  I don't know about if it will really take 5 years- it is kind of an in-depth plan that involves reseeding most of our Acerage into pasture and then installing permanent paddocks...  The last one we did cost a couple of thousand for the fencing- but it is now ready for western calves-so very strong and definite overkill if all I am keeping is dairy cows...  I would also like to renovate our barns- and that will cost a good fortune :/  This year my barn plan is just to get some sort of parlor fixed up with a raised stanchion... that would rock my world right now.... Being pregnant and milking is just sooo hard at this point.  

#9 of 9 Old 03-31-2012, 03:50 PM

I knew your name looked familiar, we were in the same ddc for a little while under my other name on here. We were pricing fence for our whole 5 acres, for us to do it ourselves will be around 5K, maybe next year, this year's big ticket item was a tractor. We have two barns both of which are falling apart, one is both storage and chicken coop at the moment, the other just needs to be torn down eventually. Too bad the one that needs to be torn down is huge and probably looked wonderful when it was taken care of, but someone stuck a bunch of garage doors on to these odd additions to it and now the whole thing is falling apart. They also didn't put any protection down for the roofing so it's rotting and falling apart too.

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

Tags
Country Living

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page