Root Cellar in deep south anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-13-2012, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey all,

I've been longing for a root cellar for quite some time.  I grew up in the northern US and am now living nearly in Florida and root cellars are unheard of here.  Even basements are few and far between, and how I even miss having a basement!

We have a hill I'd like to dig into for this and I imagine if it's deeper then normal it would stay cool enough, but the biggest problem I foresee are fire ants!

Anyone have any advice for fixing this problem?

loving a small homestead with DH and DS (12/2005) keeping it natural, frugal and back to basics :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 09:52 AM

Not sure about the fire ants, but I have a thread on here about the earthbag storm shelter/root cellar we are currently building, if that would help you at all.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

Old 04-17-2012, 03:23 PM

I actually saw something the other day that looked like it might work in that situation.  Someone took a broken refrigerator, and stuck it into a dug-out portion of a hill to keep it cool.  Then they used the fridge as their root cellar, and it was safe from the elements and critters.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

I like the refrigerator idea, especially due to the fire ants.  I was hoping to get some good ideas about something that could double as a storm shelter since we do get tornadoes through here now and again.  I'm still looking into this topic more, thanks ladies!

loving a small homestead with DH and DS (12/2005) keeping it natural, frugal and back to basics :
Old 05-05-2012, 09:20 AM

Have you seen the storm shelter / root cellar that is linked in this thread?  I don't know how it would hold up to fire ants, but I've heard that earth-bags are REALLY good at keeping bugs out once everything is sealed.

Tags
Off The Grid , Country Living
User Tag List