yurt organization - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-25-2012, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Any ideas for how to organize a yurt for a home with kids?  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 03:39 PM

Excellent question. I'm wondering about this, too!

treehugger.gif SAHM with a precious toddler and the love of my life, expecting a new little one July 2014!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:27 AM

Actually just sent in my deposit today for a White Mountain Yurts 24' that we'll be living in while building our permanent wooden tapered wall yurt.  We'll be two adults, two small children, and one dog, so I've put a lot of thought into space figuring out... :) 

We stayed at a Tent & Breakfast in a yurt, have looked at some for sale, and looked at the myriad yurt images online - these gave us a lot of good ideas on space, setup, etc.

Ours will have the kitchen to the left as you walk in.  We'll use a small refrigerator, small gas stove, a counter work space, a hutch, and some shelving.  We'll be hand pumping water and bringing it into a galley style tank that runs to a regular kitchen sink.  Our dining table will be locating in this area, toward the center of the yurt.

To the right as you walk in the front door will be our living space.  A jotul woodstove, a loveseat, rocker, bookcase and small children's play space.  

The back quarter to the right will be our sleeping area (not sectioned off).  We'll have a full-sized bed with a featherbed trundle that can be pulled out at night for the kids to sleep on.  Our bureaus will also be in this section.

The back quarter to the left will have the only sectioned off parts. There will be a small section for a "bathroom" with a loveable loo, a small vanity with wash basin, and a book shelf.  There will be another small sectioned off area for an office (I work from home).  

Our children are small (2 & 5) and always want to be and sleep right with us at this point.  I imagine there'd be different space needs with older children.  

Old 05-18-2012, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Imagining.  Our set up is looking very similar.  We are thinking of adding a loft for storage or play to get things out of the way.  

Old 05-31-2012, 12:08 PM

Pics? We don't plan on getting/living in a yurt but I love the way they look.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:10 PM

We have a yurt on our property, it is not our primary living space but many of us sleep out there when we can. I am also planning to have the baby there :)

I have love the idea of a small loft - certainly not making a whole 'second story', as you would lose so much of the open charm. It can provide so much space for things not in use - whether that is sleeping pads (in our case), or off-season clothing (if it's your home). Good luck- i would love to see what you create!

Jen - Partner to Joe, Craig, & Jordan grouphug.gif, mama to DS1 (7/13/99), DS2 (10/27/01), and DS3 (6/13/06), and DS4 born 12/13/12! Attachment Parent, co-sleeper, baby-wearer, Sudbury School founder & educator, PhD Candidate doing birth research, cloth diaper lover, GF (again), etc!novaxnocirc.gif

Tags
Off The Grid , Country Living
User Tag List