Homesteading in a rental? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-11-2012, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

We may soon be moving to a new area and will need to rent for at least a year there. The area we're looking is rural so I'm hoping if we get a place with over an acre (maybe even 5-7 as a few craigslist offerings have, and a few have barns) maybe the landlords would be willing to let us keep a garden and maybe a few chickens. Of course we will ask about pets and digging a garden when we inquire about the rentals. We have a dog who needs to be strongly fenced in when she's outside (scenthound) so I'm looking at strong temporary dog fences. I'm looking at coop/run plans that are portable as well. Any advice? Have you rented a house with land to do similar before or currently? Also, we'll be selling our house before we go so will have money available, should we offer to pay our rent ahead (several months at a time) if we can negotiate a discount?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 05-13-2012, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We rent a rural property from a family member and have chickens and turkeys and tilled up a big garden. 

We are early in the process (I have just lived here to weeks) and I don't have much advice to offer. 

There is a thread about it a couple pages down.  With something about GMIL in the title.

#3 of 3 Old 06-05-2012, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We live in the country, rent a 2 BR on 1.5 acres, have chickens, landlord tilled up the gardens - vegetable, herb, flower and 3 sisters gardens. Landlords even drove 4 hrs roundtrip to help  me pick up the coop - nicest people ever! I have 2 dogs as well. At present I have a long staked tie out for the younger one (older one insists on being right with me!) but the landlord has offered to put in an invisible fence for them. It is definitely worth it to look around for the right place. I also get a discount for paying my rent by the semester (full time student so that works for me). Next year I hope to add goats and/or bees and we hope to buy the place eventually.

Can you look for a place that you would have the option to buy? Good luck! :)

Tags
Country Living

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page