Off Grid Appliances - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-13-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm new to this forum, so hi everyone! :-D

I was thinking of getting off the grid, but I know there's a bit of preparation involved and some overlap time before it can done properly. I've found these guys (http://www.uniqueoffgrid.com) to get propane/solar powered appliances from (i.e. stove, fridge, freezer, etc.) as I've heard a lot of good things about them.

However, besides appliances, what should my next steps be?

#2 of 3 Old 06-21-2012, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

how about a solar powered hot water heater? might be very pricey but it'd save you money in the end.

As for the other steps, I can't help you there as we're not off grid but I'd like to be.

#3 of 3 Old 06-22-2012, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

More efficient fridges are going to be smaller ones that hold less, alternatives to keeping things in the fridge might be good like skills at canning and drying and curing stuff, and someplace cool like a root cellar for produce that keeps well. Manual and stovetop alternatives to small appliances might be good: coffee percolator, griddle instead of toaster maybe, hand cranked kitchen tools. Clothesline or drying racks will reduce your energy use for laundry. Wood fired heating and cooking are worth looking into. Alternatives to AC in summer if you're used to that.

Are you looking to convert your current grid tied home into off-grid, or gather things up to be able to build and move someplace? If you are grid tied you can add solar panels and feed back into the system when producing power and draw when not, you save the need for batteries doing that and reduce your bill, I think you have to work it out with the company.

Tags
Off The Grid , Country Living

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page