Anyone use VA home loan? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-24-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone ever been able to use a VA home loan to purchase any kind of "unconventional" house  I'm looking into buying my first house and have been looking into tiny houses and off the grid.  I know the VA has a million rules but I'm wondering if anyone has ever been able to do it?  Thanks

Eating is an agricultural act.  -Wendell Berry

#2 of 7 Old 07-24-2012, 10:03 AM

My experience is several years in the past (on the loan origination side) but yes, it is very hard to get VA (and most other government-backed loans) for unconventional properties.  I hope you are able to do it but be prepared for pushback at every turn. 

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#3 of 7 Old 07-24-2012, 10:14 AM

im currently in the midst of the Va loan from hell. I dont know if some rules are regional regarding the va but some of the stuff the appraiser has thrown out to use is really assanine things like the eaves need 2 addl coats of paint (huh?) the water heater needs to be 18' off ground (instead of the 17 inches) and some other items.  Plus I know when he went out their was a checklist of "habitability" such as the ability to have constant water supply, heat and cooling 25 degress from ambient and I forgot how much the indoor needed to be in cold weather (I think its 60 degrees) so im not sure how that would fair if your off the grid.  I dont think size matters. 

#4 of 7 Old 07-24-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

That's what I was thinking Caneel.  I wonder how hard it would be.  Thanks :)

#5 of 7 Old 07-24-2012, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

yeah, I've heard they are really insane about their rules.  It might be easier just to skip using the VA all together. 

#6 of 7 Old 07-24-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2grtbunch View Post

im currently in the midst of the Va loan from hell. I dont know if some rules are regional regarding the va but some of the stuff the appraiser has thrown out to use is really assanine things like the eaves need 2 addl coats of paint (huh?) the water heater needs to be 18' off ground (instead of the 17 inches) and some other items.  Plus I know when he went out their was a checklist of "habitability" such as the ability to have constant water supply, heat and cooling 25 degress from ambient and I forgot how much the indoor needed to be in cold weather (I think its 60 degrees) so im not sure how that would fair if your off the grid.  I dont think size matters. 

Yep, the bold is an excellent example of some of the crazy things you will encounter.  I remember railings (location, height, etc) being an issue at every property.  Roofing - age and materials - is another.  Someone has to pay to get these things "corrected" and buyers generally aren't interested in doing so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtyhipegirl View Post

yeah, I've heard they are really insane about their rules.  It might be easier just to skip using the VA all together. 

I don't like to be negative but if you have other options, I would look into them first. 

Based on what I saw over 10+ years, I am not a fan of these types of government loan programs for a number of reasons.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#7 of 7 Old 07-25-2012, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I guess the only reason it it appealing is not having to put money down.

Tags
Off The Grid

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page