tomato canning question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-22-2012, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm new to canning... last night I canned some tomatoes. I just diced them and raw packed them.  I was pushing them down a little to make sure the jar was full and leaving 1/2" head space... but after processing, there is a lot of space in the top of the jar, at least full inch, and there is tomato sitting above the juices.  These were roma tomatoes, not super juicy, and I didn't add any additional water or anything, just 1/2 tsp salt to each pint (I was following a very old copy of "Putting Food By").  The jars did seal, but I'm wondering if these are safe to store?

Thanks!

#2 of 5 Old 08-22-2012, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Well, the amount of headspace isn't really an issue.  The recommended headspace is the minimum amount you need to get a good seal on it so you should be okay there.

Not sure about the separating if you didn't pack it with water.  I mean, they have a large water content but I would think it would take a while to have them separate.  I watched it happened with tomatoes that were a year or many years old (yup--MANY) but I don't recall it ever happening immediately after processing.  Maybe someone else knows.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#3 of 5 Old 08-23-2012, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by separating... there just wasn't that much juice in there to begin with, but my recipe specifically said not to add water.  If there is tomato sitting above the juices, does that mean it is not safe to eat?

#4 of 5 Old 08-23-2012, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

No, I don't think so.  I think it's fine.  I guess I'm picturing something different than what you're talking about...?  If there was no additional water I'm trying to envision how you would see tomatoes sitting on top of liquid...

If it's sealed and you can push the top and not hear a "click" (so that you KNOW it's sealed) then it should be fine.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#5 of 5 Old 08-30-2012, 09:37 PM

I agree with heatherdeg.  If it sealed you're good to go!

loving a small homestead with DH and DS (12/2005) keeping it natural, frugal and back to basics :

Tags
Country Living

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page