Types of homes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-28-2012, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're hoping to get some land and build in the next couple of years.  I would love love LOVE  a cob home, but I think it would be too much for us now (6 kids, hoping to adopt more... we need a lot of space, and I don't think a cob would do it).  We've been looking at geodesic domes, and I have a "plan" in my mind for what we could do... but I'm starting to hear they're not very good long term homes?  Does anyone actually live in one?  Love it, hate it?  In my dream world (which hopefully will come true!), we'll have solar power and a greenhouse, possibly, but right now, our priority is just space to spread out for all of us!

Kristi

Wife to 1 since 2000

Mom to 6 hippie.gif('01), jammin.gif ('02), superhero.gif('07), bouncy.gif ('09), energy.gif ('09), diaper.gif ('10)

homeschool.gif

#2 of 5 Old 08-29-2012, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

What are your goals in alternative building? Being able to build it yourself? Low cost? Environmentally friendly? Energy saving? Avoiding toxins? Obviously all of the above are nice, but what are your priorities? Also, where are you building - what climate, and how strict about permits?

I like strawbale for moderate cost, somewhat self built, moderate sized place going up in one season and getting us through cold winters. Thick walls are something I instinctually want so badly for my home. I had wanted cob but my family is growing too and we're moving north so more insulation is key and building a larger place (over 1200sqft) in months not a year. Typical stick built homes of course are simplest to do since everyone builds those, but you'll likely need to hire people and with "green" upgrades it gets pricey. I can't say I know much about geodesic domes, the look of them turn me off personally, too futuristic or something, so I didn't look into them deeply, sorry.

#3 of 5 Old 08-29-2012, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

I guess my priorities would be lower cost, avoiding toxins, and eco-friendly.  Space has to be a consideration, which is why we looked at domes.  They look to have the most space, with the least effort.  We would love to move eventually to the Pacific NW (maybe Oregon), so we'd need some insulation, as well.  Straw bale homes might work really well, too.  Thanks for all of the food for thought!

Kristi

Wife to 1 since 2000

Mom to 6 hippie.gif('01), jammin.gif ('02), superhero.gif('07), bouncy.gif ('09), energy.gif ('09), diaper.gif ('10)

homeschool.gif

#4 of 5 Old 08-30-2012, 12:32 PM

I live in a geodesic dome.Love it. 40 foot concrete dome built from plans and kit by American Ingenuity.

#5 of 5 Old 09-03-2012, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I'm off to look up that company.  They're pretty energy efficient, right?  Our plan (tentative, in my dream world, and still learning, so not sure if it's feasable) would be to put solar panels all on top of the dome, and use solar and generators to be completely off the grid. 

Kristi

Wife to 1 since 2000

homeschool.gif

Tags
Country Living

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page