Are you living in the country, off grid or dreaming about it? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: You can select more than one... Where are you at on here?
I live in the country 32 100.00%
I live off grid 1 20.00%
Urban homesteader 11 100.00%
I am here dreaming about living in the country/homesteading/being off grid 48 100.00%
Other 8 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 12-12-2013, 04:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We live in the country, on land my great granny left me in her will, in a big trailer almost paid off. We're beside my parents on a dirt road, on land that's been in my family since the 1840s, have the redone barn my great grandpa built in 1949, and have spring water, though we do have electricity, but the cable company won't run the wire out here lol so we have dish. We own around ten acres, with a creek, some land pasture, some wooded, most fenced. We have ducks, chickens, cats, rabbits, and hope to have goats, a milk cow, and ponies for my kids soon. I have a ton of strawberries, two big grapevines, loads of blackberry, raspberry, and blueberry bushes, five green apple trees, two peach, and two pear. We have a decent sized garden, but I usually freeze all but the tomatoes to save time. And I always make around fifty jars each of blackberry, raspberry, and strawberry jam, and tomato and pizza sauce. Oh, and I do can the cooked apples and make grape juice. Love living where I know the history and I grew up.
Backroads likes this.
#32 of 34 Old 12-12-2013, 04:08 AM

Whoops, forgot to mention the two old cherry trees. I pit the cherries and smoosh them, then can them to use in pies and top cheesecakes with.
#33 of 34 Old 02-05-2014, 09:16 PM

I have been researching for the past two years.  Currently we live an urban homesteader's life, of sorts.  Long term I would like to live off grid out of town.

#34 of 34 Old 02-25-2014, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Dreaming, researching, and preparing for the past year or so with my other half... We have just moved to a small town in NW Oregon just 45 minutes outside of Portland.. Hoping to save up enough to buy land in Southern Oregon or possibly northern Cali .. Cheap land though, we've seen some pretty enticing deals online. Our goal is to be as self sustainable as possible, and enable others who would like to do the same. It's sort of a 5 year goal, I think. treehugger.gif
For now its just good to be moved, but as soon as I saw these forums I had to check it out, since its always awesome to connect with like minded people.

Edit: forgot to say.. At least at this rental house we have a kind landlord. He and his family actually live on a 23 acre farm and are self sustainable, and he already gave us the go ahead to build our own garden here and keep up to five chickens, so that's exciting for us. Baby steps! The universe is training us while we head toward our end goal. thumb.gif

In case you're curious about my status: I'm Kate, I spend every miraculous day with my darling soul mate JB and we are expecting our first baby (boy!) ...

Tags
Off The Grid , Country Living

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page