Wanting to learn more about living off the grid - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-06-2013, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello my name is Lisa I'm 20 and I live in Texas. My husband and I are looking to live off the grid and live simply. We are looking for the best places to live and buy land. We are looking to buy 5 acre to 20 acre anywhere in the US. We have also looked into raising chickens, nile tilapia, californian rabbits,bees, kinder goats, european night worms and our own crops. I am very confused in where to start with all of this planing to transfer from a complex fast pace life to a simple self sufficent life. I was raised with all these luxuries in life and it has gotten me no where. I want my kids to grow in an envionment where they can grow to respect nature and what it means to work for what you have. Can someone please help us out with figuring out zoning law on building your own home, what kind of heat and/or ac is legal to use in a home, how solar power works, how to pump water to a shower, and two sinks, how to collect grey water and so on.

#2 of 2 Old 01-08-2013, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
what you're looking for in an area makes a big difference. Some form of homesteading can be done in most places just have to consider pros and cons. It's hard too suggest an area without more detail on what you want.

As for the rest there are plenty of posts here with info or online. Regulations will vary depending on the area and it's best to research yourself and ask questions. I managed to avoid a regulated septic this way.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days

Tags
Off The Grid

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page