Can pigs and cows live together - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-30-2013, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have a pig and a steer in the same pen. The steer is in the pen to put some weight on before slaughter and the pig is for slaughter too but is still young. The two get along great they are buddies. I am just wondering if there are any diseases I need to worry about being transfered to each other. I tried doing some research but I couldn't find anything on it. Please help me out on this. And I am thinking about moving the pig pen and building duck and chicken pens right next to them. Do I need to worry about diseases between pigs, chickens and ducks even though all they will be in different pens with good drainage going away from all of the pens.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 03-06-2013, 11:55 AM

I'm not sure! I'm sort of a symbiotic 'farmer' and throw everything together with lots of space and hope it works....haven't had any problems! I did decide in the future that once my turkeys are 15-18 weeks old that I need to move them to their own space or they just eat farrrr too much! I see this is an old thread, how did it work out!? 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#3 of 3 Old 04-03-2013, 11:14 PM

turkeys and chickens are supposed to be separated.  Those are the only things.  OP- Hope it is working well :)  If you are fattening your steer with grain your pig will be getting a treat :)

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Tags
Country Living

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page