Where in the world? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-16-2013, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a fabulously free range childhood. We lived in a country neighborhood (each house was on 1-2 acres connected by well lit streets). My yard backed up to forest and a creek, which I was allowed to explore so long as I checked in with mom throughout the day and always made it to dinner. I had friends, the great outdoors, and more freedom than I knew to appreciate.

My husband and I have been talking and we'd like to give our kids a similar childhood experience. The problem is that 1) my husband is military so we move often and will continue to do so for another 9 years, and 2) we can't find our utopia anywhere we go (I usually cant even have a garden in a rental). We've talked about buying land for the future while prices are still low, but where? Do any other military families have suggestions on reconciling our wish for a simpler life with my husband's commitment to serve?
#2 of 2 Old 04-17-2013, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Where to buy land! Oh what a hard question.  Is there somewhere you can see yourself going back to? Or maybe where you family is from? I think buying now might be a really good idea if you can afford it. Or at least looking and seeing what you'd like. 

I'd look into community gardening plots where you're stationed. 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

Tags
Country Living

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page