Mouse in the house...make that mice - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-13-2013, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We just got back to our home from the winter and found mouse droppings in a lot of places... kitchen and kids room mainly.

How would YOU go about cleaning that? Or avoiding that?

We washed all our clothes whether or not the mouse touched it.

For the toys, we used clorox-water, sun drying, OR lysol spray. Is that good enough? I'm grossed out.. :S

When should I throw stuff away or how do you decide to keep stuff?

We are far north enough that there is little to no concern for hanta virus.

Super Mom.  Super Wife.  Super Tired.
#2 of 6 Old 06-13-2013, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

We have mice, too. Blecchh.

I just throw all the stuff they've been gross on into the washer and use soap or vinegar spray on everything else. I keep everything unless they've shredded it into a nest so badly that it's not usable. They've done that to some of my favorite baby clothes stored out in our shop. :(   If they've gotten into food, I don't keep it.

We've tried poison and traps. I find glue traps work the very best (Amazon has them in bulk). But they are horrific- I don't just leave the poor mice on them to suffer to death, I take them off and  put them out of their misery quickly. One of my most un-favorite homestead jobs. I only trap them in our house, not in the shop or anywhere else. Out there I  try to replace all my bins and bags they get into with mouse-proof bins and cans.

I figure that humans have been living with mice forever and ever and I'm not extremely worried about them. I'm grossed out by them, but I figure that the ingredients in Lysol are more toxic to me than the mice actually are. ~shrug~

Good luck with your battle!

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#3 of 6 Old 06-13-2013, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, i hate Lysol too... never bought it before but was grossed out. My DD got a hoarse voice with all these chemicals here. And, I got a cough. So, out went everything. Good point about that being more toxic than mice.

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one fighting the mice. ;) I didn't want to overreact by throwing stuff away.

That reminds me. What about down pillows. They had covers on them but not sure how to clean the pillows. Perhaps spraying something on them?

How does vinegar help?

Yes! Glue traps are the best... but I guess they don't work when they collect does or it's freezing temperatures in the house... because not a single one had a mouse on it.

#4 of 6 Old 06-13-2013, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Saw your blog! We are in north Idaho, too.

#5 of 6 Old 06-18-2013, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

That's so neat that you're in N ID, too! I'll PM you, maybe we're neighbors. :)

Hmm, down pillows. That's a tough one! If I thought the mouse pee had penetrated the pillow case into the actual pillow I guess I'd just machine wash and dry it, knowing that if the W&D killed my pillow, well, I probably wouldn't have kept it anyway. But if only the pillow case was gross, I'd probably hang the pillow out in the hot sun for several days.

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#6 of 6 Old 07-17-2013, 02:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

They don't like mint oil and they tend to eat dog food or anything else remotely edible so clean out all the drawers buy a bottle of mint oil and a few cotton ball's move anything that's not in a can out of the cupboards and bleach all surfaces my grandma's house used to get them behind the pots in her kitchen only thing that worked was removing all the food taking out all the stuff in the cupboards upper and lower and putting mint oil cotton balls everywhere but if you can find the nest whole plug it with steel wool.

germin8 likes this.

Tags
Country Living , Off The Grid

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page