Living on the road- What's it really like? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 09-09-2013, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anybody here take their family and live full time on the road in a motorhome, RV or similar? If so what is it really like? What parts are difficult? Especially things you might not think of before living that way. How did you go with small children on board? How did you manage laundry? What about cloth diapers? Anything else I should be aware of?

We are thinking of doing this permanently and just wondering if the reality is as good as the fantasy and what we need to know before taking the leap :thumb Especially love to hear from those with big families and how that worked out for you. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 09-12-2013, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

When we did it the things I noticed were the amount of time media was on (especially the t.v.) when we weren't even watching it. Just as background noise. I found it challenging in ways like laundry (like you mentioned), finding state and national parks to camp in, etc. but with laptops and smart phones that stuff would be TONS easier. We loved on the road living and dream of doing it again.

mayamade soap + apothecary for family + home website and Etsy shop where I work with (and love) plants.
#3 of 3 Old 11-06-2013, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We do this but until the new baby arrives, we are in one place.

I liked the fact that we could live cheaper than if we were in a house. That said, we will be looking for an rv with laundry capabilities and enough space for food storage,like room to tuck in a small upright freezer. I actually found the perfect sized one at a hardware store recently. Now I know where to go when we do size up.
Originally we started out with 7 of us in the tiny travel trailer. Oldest dd moved out and now we have a noob coming in the spring.

Other thing to consider is winter and where you plan to be. Camping areas fill up quick down south in the winter months. Generally, the camping clubs can be helpful like Good Sam, Happy Campers etc. those 2 are not too expensive for yearly membership.
There are so many little tricks you learn along the way. Propane is usually cheaper at propane suppliers than it is trading tanks at Walmart or gas stations. There's lots you learn along the way, like avoiding camp grounds that charge per kid. I was not going to pay an extra $15 per kid at one monthly camp ground which had no kid friendly amenities.

banana.gif

Tags
Off The Grid

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page