Composting toilet - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-25-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am completely lost in my search for a good composting toilet. What I'm looking for: a lower maintenance toilet that runs on electricity, flushes with air and a small amount of water, and composts. It needs to be functional for full time large family use. Most of the toilet reviews I see are for occasional use or smaller family use. I want a high quality, functional product. I am planning on installing three composting toilets when my sister and I move into connected yurts with our families. Together we have ten children, plus our husbands and ourselves. I would appreciate any advice, as I like to fully plan before acting. We are not actively moving right now, but are planning to do so within the next two years or so, God willing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 09-27-2013, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Honestly, I don't think you're going to find something commercially to meet your needs.  I had a commercial composting toilet, and it was truly awful.  It used electricity.  It STUNK.  It was noisy.  It needed cleanout every week or so, even though the manufacturer said otherwise.  There were two adults and six kids at that point.

We finally switched to a sawdust toilet system, and are much happier.  Google Jenkin's "Humanure Handbook."  I think it's available to read online, so you don't actually have to purchase it.  We have three buckets set up right now.  One is inside (our indoor bathroom), sitting in a wooden box, with a regular toilet seat.  Another is out in our barn, in the "outhouse"...it is a 5 gallon bucket with a snap-on seat.  I also have the same setup in our bedroom for middle-of-the night pees.

I have several different composting methods, depending on the season!  :)

We have two adults and five kids here now.  Good luck!  :)

Mom to E(11/92), H(10/95), C(4/98), S(12/00) and M(4/13)
#3 of 5 Old 09-28-2013, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the input! I'm thinking it will be pretty hard to get the rest of the family on board with just commodes. I was under the impression that composting toilets use the same concepts as those detailed in Humanure, but I haven't read it yet. I will definitely read it to see if it can change my perspective.
#4 of 5 Old 09-29-2013, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Look at RealGoods.com or Lehman's.

#5 of 5 Old 09-30-2013, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I will check those out!

Tags
Off The Grid

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page