Quail - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 75 Old 11-12-2013, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That is "big puff" and she's the boss. I'm having a bad situation today though. The breeder sold me a few more females. I rearranged the coop to avoid territorial disputes, but they started having a civil war. Fighting horribly, all of them. One has a bad gash on her neck and may not make it. I have two in solitary. The rest have since settled down but look stressed. Then to top it all off one jumped out of the coop when I had the door open and the dog grabbed it and killed it. I think it may have been "big puff" who was a favorite. Not a good day at all. bawling.gif

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 75 Old 11-12-2013, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow I am so sorry. That's awful. :-(

Could you make it to where they can see each other but not get to each other for a couple weeks? That's how I integrate my chickens. Otherwise the pecking order thing can get brutal. :-(

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#63 of 75 Old 11-13-2013, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

Wow I am so sorry. That's awful. :-(

Could you make it to where they can see each other but not get to each other for a couple weeks? That's how I integrate my chickens. Otherwise the pecking order thing can get brutal. :-(

yes I have them in the coop in little cages so they can watch but not get at the others. The breeder suggested doing that for a few days. The one with the neck looks better and may survive after all, and the one that was killed was not Big Puff. So things are looking up. Boy, farm life is sometimes really hard . . .

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#64 of 75 Old 11-13-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma View Post

yes I have them in the coop in little cages so they can watch but not get at the others. The breeder suggested doing that for a few days. The one with the neck looks better and may survive after all, and the one that was killed was not Big Puff. So things are looking up. Boy, farm life is sometimes really hard . . .

Yep. My own dog killed two of my chickens. It's hard. I love my dog and my chickens so I have to do everything to make it work. I'm glad things are looking up for you!!

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#65 of 75 Old 11-21-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Lookie what I found today in the quail coop! (We had 5 but dd dropped one in her excitement)

#66 of 75 Old 11-21-2013, 06:54 PM

Yay!!! Teenie eggs!

joy.gif

#67 of 75 Old 12-04-2013, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Here's what I got tonight-- plus three more laid after this photo was taken. :-) 

#68 of 75 Old 12-05-2013, 06:36 AM

Cute! Have you hard boiled them yet? They would make such cute hard boiled eggs for a kid.

joy.gif

#69 of 75 Old 12-10-2013, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

AppleMark

Yep, boiled, fried, scrambled and even used some (well a lot actually) to make dd's birthday cake. They boil for 6 minutes, and usually not that hard to peel. I am getting 12-14 a day now.

Also learned that adding 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar to their water helps to neutralize the poop smell. And guess what? It actually works? With the cold spell I have them in the garage and the smell has reduced greatly since adding the vinegar. Who would have known? And they love spinach and rotten fruits. and rice and even the cockatiel seeds that got bugs in them. Pretty much almost anything I put in there, they scramble around and eat it.

#70 of 75 Old 12-10-2013, 08:13 PM

Okay you need to stop. You're making me want quail!!!! DH would kill me LOL!!!

joy.gif

#71 of 75 Old 12-10-2013, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

I have been told they are easier than chickens . . . . ask for some for Christmas.

They would do just fine in a rabbit cage or hutch-- simple simple.

#72 of 75 Old 12-11-2013, 07:24 AM

I want some, too! Another plan for retirement...
#73 of 75 Old 12-11-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

I am still struggling with them keeping the water clean. I have all the rest figured out. They either poop in the water, or when I put the water bottles in they think it's fun to peck at them and drain them all in 15 minutes. When I elevated the water containers on small bricks so they would not poop in it, they knocked them over instead. Any suggestions?

#74 of 75 Old 12-11-2013, 06:12 PM

My suggestion is... Just be glad you don't have ducks!!!

Lol. Sorry, no advice...

joy.gif

#75 of 75 Old 12-12-2013, 12:52 AM

You could try hanging the food and water feeders using some wire from the top of the coop at their head height. If there isn't a perch over it, then they shouldn't be able to poop in it anymore, even if they do still spill some.

Tags
Country Living , Off The Grid

User Tag List