Quail - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 75 Old 10-03-2013, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am seriously wanting to get a small flock of quail. I have been thinking about it for years, but there is a nice small chicken coop going on sale this weekend at a farm store and it may push me over the edge. :-)

I have posted to backyardchickens but no replies to my thread yet. I have read on them, but have a couple of questions that I can't find answers to. 

Can anyone here help me if I ask the questions?

UPDATED WITH PICS IN POST #14

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 75 Old 10-03-2013, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know a little bit about quail and have friends who have them. What are your questions?

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#3 of 75 Old 10-04-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! :-)

Well we live in the Phoenix area, and I know people keep them year-round here. 

Honest answer please-- are they a pain in the rear to take care of??

There is this coop that's going on sale but it's two-level. The bottom part is on the ground and then the quail would walk up a ramp to the second level for the nesting boxes. Do quail use a two-level coop? The ones I've seen on-line are all single level or rabbit hutches.

Can I have the ground open so they don't have to walk on wire?  :-( Or will they dig out?

Can I have hens with no rooster and still have them lay? I don't eat meat and don't want to hatch fertile eggs or cull unwanted male chicks.

We have a seasonal ant problem-- would the ants attack the quail? or will the quail eat the ants?

I'm looking forward to this. I have wanted to provide for our own eggs for awhile and have fun in the process. :-)

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#4 of 75 Old 10-04-2013, 01:45 PM

I don't think they are a pain. In fact, I think they are easier than chickens just because you will have less waste to clean up. I know you want that cute coop but they are ground birds so you may be better off with a little rabbit hutch that is all ground level and you can tractor around every few days, then your clean up will be much less if they are on fresh ground. Does that make sense? They shouldn't try to dig out but your main concern will be something digging in, such as a snake or other predator. You could wire the bottom but still keep it on ground so their little feet are on a solid surface (I don't like the idea or keeping them on wire either!). I recommend using hard wire mesh rather than chicken wire as just about anything can get thru chicken wire.

I'm not sure about the ants. Depends on the species... Your best bet is to keep their area clean and don't put their food where they are sleeping. For instance if they are in a little hutch with an indoor area where they sleep keep the food in a covered area inside the run rather than the indoor area. Alternatively, remove the food when they go to bed. :-)

I'll look and see if I can find any pics of the type of hutch I am thinking would be best for them.... Will post soon!

HTH :-)

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#5 of 75 Old 10-04-2013, 01:47 PM

Oh, and yes you will have lots of eggs even without a little boy quail. :-)
USAmma likes this.

joy.gif

#6 of 75 Old 10-04-2013, 01:50 PM

Here is a good looking tractor.

joy.gif

#7 of 75 Old 10-04-2013, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!! I am super excited about this! :-) I was looking at that kind of tractor, too. That is a good idea to keep it moving around the yard. I could even put it in the garden off-season. it's partially shaded. I have two parrots and I'm sure the quail will be easier to care for than them!! My friend had some chickens and they were a pain-- but they also required a lot more space and they ate her garden and pooped all over everything. Hoping the quail are not that bad.

So how many would you recommend I get? 

Locally it looks like people mostly sell chicks. How would I know if they are male or female that young? 

Is this one okay? Is the wire too wide?

http://www.amazon.com/Ware-01533-Premium-Backyard-Hutch/dp/B000HGB93E/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1380920922&sr=8-15&keywords=chicken+coop

#8 of 75 Old 10-04-2013, 03:22 PM

I have that hutch for emergency situations with my chickens, like in case one needs to be separated. It's a nice little hutch but it needs to be augmented to keep predators out. I would secure the existing wire with hard wire mesh. I just stapled some over mine. I also put hardware mesh across the bottom to keep anything from digging in.

What kind of quail are you getting? I'm thinking four, maaaaybe five would fit okay in that as long as they are no bigger than the coturnix quail and they have fresh ground to poke around on. So cute.

You won't know whether or not you are getting boys or girls because normally quail are sold "straight run" (not sexed). Your best bet is to plan for what to do with the boys; either find a good home for them ahead of time or try Craigslist once they start crowing. But just a warning about Craigslist, I know lots of folks will go on Craigslist looking for chickens to eat. Not sure about quail.

I'm "eggcited" for you! Quail are so cute and fun. If you have parrots FOR SURE you can handle quail. LOL! Parrots are funny! <3
USAmma likes this.

joy.gif

#9 of 75 Old 10-05-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again! I will let you know when I get my little flock. I am thinking about 4 Coturnix quail to start. Maybe I can arrange to give the males back to the breeder if I need to, for free. They are so cheap. I don't want to know what they do with them after that. :2whistle We are going to be doing some mini road trips this week around the state (crossing several things off the list thanks to gov't shutdown- grrr!) so probably nothing will be done until at least next week. You have given me lots to think about.

#10 of 75 Old 10-05-2013, 10:08 AM

You are welcome! Good luck!!!

joy.gif

#11 of 75 Old 10-05-2013, 10:15 AM

Just an FYI, if I were you I would get about six to eight babies, because some will be boys. Once they are grown enough for you to be able to tell what gender they are it becomes harder to integrate new ones into your flock. So, to be sure you have at least four girls you may want to get more babies. :-)

joy.gif

#12 of 75 Old 10-06-2013, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

Just an FYI, if I were you I would get about six to eight babies, because some will be boys. Once they are grown enough for you to be able to tell what gender they are it becomes harder to integrate new ones into your flock. So, to be sure you have at least four girls you may want to get more babies. :-)

Thanks! I just talked to a breeder by phone and he suggested the same thing-- getting double the number of chicks because roughly half will be boys. He said I can return the boys back to him but it's such a long drive, I'm hoping to rehome them locally. I am aware that they will probably end up as food . . . I guess that's part of the deal. :-( But I personally just don't want to eat them. I know people get them as snake food too.

I bought a shaded coop that's 16 feet square and about 4 feet high, put wire on the bottom and some wheels. I think I try to end up with 8 of them given my large run and wanting to get enough eggs to eat. I still need to get a little nest box/shelter built inside for colder weather, but the babies will be indoors for awhile so I have time. I also am looking forward to putting my cockatiels in with them as soon as I get perches set up-- I have seen people with aviaries with quail and cockatiels living together peacefully. 

So I will probably pick up the babies on Friday! :-) Will keep you updated!

#13 of 75 Old 10-06-2013, 02:54 PM

OMG quail babies are so friggin' cute!!!! You must post pics!!

joy.gif

#14 of 75 Old 10-11-2013, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

The chickies are here!! They are sooo cute! Two days old. I got 16 of them to start, figuring half would be male. The dog knocked over their container and the water container, and one got really wet and stuck in the corner. I found it cold but still alive and stuck it in my bra and I think it revived enough to be okay. We'll see. I expect a casualty or two, just part of nature. But otherwise the little buggers are eating and drinking and mostly in a huddle sleeping. They are up on a counter now all cozy.

#15 of 75 Old 10-11-2013, 09:46 PM

Very cute!! Do you have them under a lamp? If one gets soaked again you can blow dry it very lightly and put it under the lamp or in your bra. :-) Also, you can put some marbles in their water to keep them from getting soaked in it. :-)

joy.gif

#16 of 75 Old 10-11-2013, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Very cute!! Do you have them under a lamp? If one gets soaked again you can blow dry it very lightly and put it under the lamp or in your bra. :-) Also, you can put some marbles in their water to keep them from getting soaked in it. :-)

I have half of their container on a heating pad on low-- the same one I use for sick birds I find in the yard and nurse to health. They seem comfy. I put some small decorative rocks in the water. I did blow it dry for a little while and then stuck it in my bra until it got a little bit more active. Kangaroo care at it's best. ;-) 

I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on. Thanks for answering them so far. The kids are loving the whole experience.

#17 of 75 Old 10-11-2013, 10:26 PM

You sound like you really know what you are doing! When I got my first batch of chicks I was so nervous. I think it was worse than when I had my first newborn LOL!!!!

Can't wait to see them grow!

joy.gif

#18 of 75 Old 10-12-2013, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

I have experience with random baby birds and I figure chicks are pretty much the same-- except they feed themselves! So much easier. I am nervous, though, especially when I thought I lost that one and my 12yo was crying about it. I am going to feel awful when I have to get rid of the males. :-( The kids are attached already and naming them (but not sure how they tell them apart).

#19 of 75 Old 10-12-2013, 01:12 AM

I have quail come through my yard all the time. Do they taste good? I just want to pull out some archery gear and catch dinner. :P I dont know how to clean them though!

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

#20 of 75 Old 10-12-2013, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameXCupcake View Post

I have quail come through my yard all the time. Do they taste good? I just want to pull out some archery gear and catch dinner. :P I dont know how to clean them though!

Make sure you have a hunting license!!

I've never known anyone to "hunt" quail with bow and arrow.  Most hunters use a shotgun.

And, please, learn how to clean a bird from an experienced hunter before you try it yourself.  Have respect for what you kill.

#21 of 75 Old 10-12-2013, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

We lost two of them last night -- not sure what happened but they were dead this morning. Ah well, part of life. 

Edited: one was still alive and I'm trying to nurse it back to health  . . . wow the drama in our house! 

#22 of 75 Old 10-12-2013, 09:26 AM

:-(

I'm sorry! I guess that's why the mamas lay so many eggs. Darn nature. :-(

You're a good quail mommy. <3

joy.gif

#23 of 75 Old 10-12-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

aww thanks. My 12yo is really getting into the quail and checking on them every 2 minutes. Will post more pics of the survivors soon. They grew overnight! I couldn't believe it!

#24 of 75 Old 10-12-2013, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

quail cuteness from tonight. That one looked dead but it was just sleeping weird. One of my parrots was trying to get my attention and that's what you hear in the background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T25el7jcupM&feature=youtu.be

#25 of 75 Old 10-12-2013, 10:22 PM

Yay!!! So cute! Love their little cheep cheeps. <3

joy.gif

#26 of 75 Old 10-14-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

They have all survived and a few of them are way bigger than the others. The breeder had mentioned there may be some jumbos in the batch. Several are starting to try to hop up and flap their wings. One I think is trying to crow. It's too funny. My aunt and uncle saw my post on Facebook about it and they think I'm nuts. I am a little bit nuts, but I guess that's what makes me want to go against the grain and try stuff like this. 

Oh, and they really, really stink!! I will be happy when they are big enough to move outside. grossedout.gif  I change their cage paper every 12 hours but it could probably be done more often than that. I don't know how people can keep flocks and flocks of them in their garages like I have seen on-line.

#27 of 75 Old 10-14-2013, 09:59 AM

That's just the smell of love LOL. Sounds like you are earning your status as "Crazy Quail Lady" which is awesome! I heard that quail grow really fast. I think they start laying really soon too.

joy.gif

#28 of 75 Old 10-14-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That's just the smell of love LOL. Sounds like you are earning your status as "Crazy Quail Lady" which is awesome! I heard that quail grow really fast. I think they start laying really soon too.

The smell of love! Too funny! 

They start laying at 6 weeks of age-- they are like the mice of the bird world. I was told by 3 weeks old I would be able to tell male and females by crowing and/or chest markings, but some start crowing way earlier than that.

#29 of 75 Old 10-16-2013, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

They are getting really big all of a sudden! But I have to say, they are about the dumbest creatures I have ever encountered. Very instinctive. I was missing one today when I went to clean the cage. I found it stuck in the empty jar of the feeder, peeping in distress. The old saying "Can't think their way out of a paper bag" really applies.

#30 of 75 Old 10-16-2013, 06:08 PM

They don't call it "bird brain" for nothing!!! LOL

joy.gif

Tags
Country Living , Off The Grid

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page