My chickens :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 15 Old 11-22-2013, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
 
newmama8824's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: wondering around in oklahoma
Posts: 1,026
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had my chickens out earlier (as did my neighbor) and when I got home two dogs chasing them down. I yelled at the dogs and they ran off but my neighbors rooster was in my yard with a bite taken out of it :( I managed to get 2 of my hens back but the other 2 and the rooster are gone. It really upsets me that people out here let their dogs run loose when so many of us have chickens and other animals that they mess with! It's hard to have free range chickens! I can't decide if I should confront the people with the dogs or not... Hopefully the rest of my chickens come back unharmed. 


~*Have more than you show, speak less than you know*~

newmama8824 is offline  
#2 of 15 Old 11-22-2013, 07:01 PM
 
SweetSilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Westfarthing
Posts: 5,027
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

So sorry for your loss.  I lost 2 bachelor cockerels to a dog and it pissed me off to no end.  Yeah, they were surplus, yeah I let my chickens out where coyotes and hawks can get them, but dogs are a special case and should be confined.  They cause more havoc that most true predators.  

 

Not that you would, but you have every right to shoot the dog.  I would definitely tell the people what the dog did.  Some people will be confrontational, but there are a few golden folks who will offer to compensate you.  Legally, you are in the right on this.

BeckyBird likes this.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
SweetSilver is offline  
#3 of 15 Old 11-22-2013, 07:56 PM
 
root*children's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: the South-East's Worst Kept Secret
Posts: 2,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DEFINITELY talk to the dog owners.  Their dogs are doing damage to your property.

BeckyBird likes this.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

root*children is offline  
#4 of 15 Old 11-23-2013, 12:06 AM
 
USAmma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 18,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am so sorry! :-( I would march right up to the owners of the dogs and let them know what happened. Also if you see those dogs running loose again please call animal control or police (if they are on your property).

BeckyBird likes this.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."
 
USAmma is offline  
#5 of 15 Old 11-24-2013, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
 
newmama8824's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: wondering around in oklahoma
Posts: 1,026
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

ALL MY CHICKENS CAME BACK!!! And more importantly, they are all safe :) I am so relieved! 

BeckyBird likes this.

~*Have more than you show, speak less than you know*~

newmama8824 is offline  
#6 of 15 Old 11-24-2013, 09:03 PM
 
USAmma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 18,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yeah!!! Happy happy! 


7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."
 
USAmma is offline  
#7 of 15 Old 11-27-2013, 06:50 PM
 
root*children's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: the South-East's Worst Kept Secret
Posts: 2,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh, whew!  I thought you meant "gone" as in dead, like the dogs had killed them.  I would still talk to to the owners, though.


Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

root*children is offline  
#8 of 15 Old 11-27-2013, 08:43 PM
 
dalia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,982
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
YAY!!!

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

 
joy.gif

dalia is offline  
#9 of 15 Old 12-01-2013, 11:15 AM
 
mumm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Glad they came back safe. 

 

I have a different perspective on this.  I allow my chickens to roam and I know they don't stay on my property but wander around to the neighbors property also.  All my neighbors have dogs.  I told them upfront way back when that IF their dog kills one of my chickens it is my fault for letting them out into their yard.  Even if it happened on my property I told them not to worry. 

 

My chickens shit in their yards.  When their dog does the same in my yard they pick it up.  In the winter I send my kids out with little shovels to pick up frozen chicken poop from the neighbors yard, but during the warmer months I don't. 

 

I've never actually had a chicken killed by a dog.  Chased, yes, never killed or injured. 

 

You might live on many acres where your birds don't ever leave your property.  In which case I can understand.  But if your birds roam onto other people's property then I think you have to be more lenient. 

 

As an aside- My son closed up the chicken pen and coop area the other night without noticing the HAWK in the pen.  Yup!  He locked a hawk in with the girls all night.  I didn't discover it until about 10am the next morning.  I was shocked to only lose one bird.


Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

mumm is offline  
#10 of 15 Old 12-03-2013, 07:24 AM
 
grahamsmom98's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 2,302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post
 

Glad they came back safe. 

 

I have a different perspective on this.  I allow my chickens to roam and I know they don't stay on my property but wander around to the neighbors property also.  All my neighbors have dogs.  I told them upfront way back when that IF their dog kills one of my chickens it is my fault for letting them out into their yard.  Even if it happened on my property I told them not to worry. 

 

My chickens shit in their yards.  When their dog does the same in my yard they pick it up.  In the winter I send my kids out with little shovels to pick up frozen chicken poop from the neighbors yard, but during the warmer months I don't. 

 

I've never actually had a chicken killed by a dog.  Chased, yes, never killed or injured. 

 

You might live on many acres where your birds don't ever leave your property.  In which case I can understand.  But if your birds roam onto other people's property then I think you have to be more lenient. 

 

As an aside- My son closed up the chicken pen and coop area the other night without noticing the HAWK in the pen.  Yup!  He locked a hawk in with the girls all night.  I didn't discover it until about 10am the next morning.  I was shocked to only lose one bird.


Thank you, for your comment," ~ But if your birds roam onto other people's property then I think you have to be more lenient. ~ "  I wish all animal owners, pet or livestock, felt the same way regarding their animals on other's property. 

 

We live out in the country and are dealing with a terrible problem of one of our neighbors and their herd of cats.  If they hoarded them inside, at least they wouldn't be everywhere else!  They are of that mindset that feels they should be allowed to run free.  The neighbors do not appreciate that, at all.  Chickens wouldn't be so bad, but cats???  Nope.

grahamsmom98 is online now  
#11 of 15 Old 12-03-2013, 07:49 AM
 
rachelsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 1,562
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post
 

 

As an aside- My son closed up the chicken pen and coop area the other night without noticing the HAWK in the pen.  Yup!  He locked a hawk in with the girls all night.  I didn't discover it until about 10am the next morning.  I was shocked to only lose one bird.

I'm sorry for the loss of your chicken, but I have to ask, was the hawk freaked out about getting locked up, or smug about tricking you guys into leaving it in there all night?

rachelsmama is offline  
#12 of 15 Old 12-03-2013, 08:07 AM
 
SweetSilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Westfarthing
Posts: 5,027
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamsmom98 View Post
 
 Chickens wouldn't be so bad, but cats???  Nope.

Someone else's chickens in your yard might give the cats a run for their money.  They don't really poop in the garden, they rip the garden out onto the lawn and then dust bathe in what's left.  They poop on the lawns, in your sheds, all over your porch.  They eat your vegetables and the leaves right off the blueberry plants.  Even "toxic" leaves like rhubarb are not safe.  

 

I lived in a neighborhood with hoards of stray cats.  They were sweet.  They were annoying. I really enjoy not having them around in my new location.  But for sheer chaos, they have nothing on chickens.  Just my 2cents.  :p

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama View Post
 

I'm sorry for the loss of your chicken, but I have to ask, was the hawk freaked out about getting locked up, or smug about tricking you guys into leaving it in there all night?

          :eat  


Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
SweetSilver is offline  
#13 of 15 Old 12-03-2013, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
 
newmama8824's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: wondering around in oklahoma
Posts: 1,026
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post
 

Glad they came back safe.

 

I have a different perspective on this.  I allow my chickens to roam and I know they don't stay on my property but wander around to the neighbors property also.  All my neighbors have dogs.  I told them upfront way back when that IF their dog kills one of my chickens it is my fault for letting them out into their yard.  Even if it happened on my property I told them not to worry.

 

My chickens shit in their yards.  When their dog does the same in my yard they pick it up.  In the winter I send my kids out with little shovels to pick up frozen chicken poop from the neighbors yard, but during the warmer months I don't.

 

I've never actually had a chicken killed by a dog.  Chased, yes, never killed or injured.

 

You might live on many acres where your birds don't ever leave your property.  In which case I can understand.  But if your birds roam onto other people's property then I think you have to be more lenient.

 

As an aside- My son closed up the chicken pen and coop area the other night without noticing the HAWK in the pen.  Yup!  He locked a hawk in with the girls all night.  I didn't discover it until about 10am the next morning.  I was shocked to only lose one bird.

Actually, my chickens never went into my neighbors yard. This neighbor is a neighbor who lives wayyyy down the road and who has multiple dogs that roam the neighborhood. If my animals roam in others yards then that is one thing but they don't. I have an issue with all the dog hoarding that goes on in my neighborhood but we are out of city limits so that's just life. I put my chickens up though... Not that it matters, something got in there and killed a few of them after all that work chasing 'em down. :meditate


~*Have more than you show, speak less than you know*~

newmama8824 is offline  
#14 of 15 Old 12-03-2013, 10:57 AM
 
grahamsmom98's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 2,302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post
 

Someone else's chickens in your yard might give the cats a run for their money.  They don't really poop in the garden, they rip the garden out onto the lawn and then dust bathe in what's left.  They poop on the lawns, in your sheds, all over your porch.  They eat your vegetables and the leaves right off the blueberry plants.  Even "toxic" leaves like rhubarb are not safe.  

 

I lived in a neighborhood with hoards of stray cats.  They were sweet.  They were annoying. I really enjoy not having them around in my new location.  But for sheer chaos, they have nothing on chickens.  Just my 2cents.  :p

 

          :eat  


Good points, SweetSilver!

 

The neighbor's cats are such a nuisance.  They attack our native songbirds & quail, as well as the chipmunks; they have given birth under our garden shed (we've since sealed-off that possibility) and in our wood shed (mouse traps have stopped that in the Winter, we don't put any out in the Summer because of the chipmunks); they crap in our flower & veggie beds and on our lawn; there are males that spray and none of them have been fixed.  So, the population keeps going (though we have cut it down considerably).  Just because inconsiderate and irresponsible owners will not take care of their own animals.

 

We're in the county and there are no ordinances regarding this, it's up to the individuals to deal with this type of problem.  On the other hand, there are also no laws regarding how to remove unwanted feline (or, canine) trespassers.

 

Nobody in our immediate area has chickens, so I guess it's just the cats we have to remove.  Wish we could remove the one neighbor.............

grahamsmom98 is online now  
#15 of 15 Old 12-03-2013, 05:09 PM
 
mumm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama View Post
 

I'm sorry for the loss of your chicken, but I have to ask, was the hawk freaked out about getting locked up, or smug about tricking you guys into leaving it in there all night?

Well, it ends up we were wrong.  The hawk managed to get through our netting that is over the pen.  There was a section about 3 feet wide.  In the past it has gotten in through the door and then can't find it's way back out.  (The whole pen is covered with netting)

 

It got in again since then and the pen had been closed up all day.  The poor hawk can't find its way out after it kills a chicken (or two) and ends up battering itself against the netting over and over. 

 

I'm pretty sure the netting is stitched up enough so it can't get in again.  This same hawk picked off 3 birds last winter.  He is bigger now.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmama8824 View Post
 

Actually, my chickens never went into my neighbors yard. This neighbor is a neighbor who lives wayyyy down the road and who has multiple dogs that roam the neighborhood. If my animals roam in others yards then that is one thing but they don't. I have an issue with all the dog hoarding that goes on in my neighborhood but we are out of city limits so that's just life. I put my chickens up though... Not that it matters, something got in there and killed a few of them after all that work chasing 'em down. :meditate

Yup- different story.  If your animals are always on your property then you are totally in a position to be upset.  I'm in a residential area where I limit how free my birds are simply to keep on good terms with my neighbors. 


Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

mumm is offline  
Reply

Tags
Country Living

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off