How to get eggs cleaner? - Mothering Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Spiderpig

#1 of 14 Old 05-04-2014, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Any tips on getting stains off of eggs? The chicken eggs are not bad but the ducks tend to lay kind of wherever they are, which frequently involves mud. I currently scrub all of the eggs with plain running water and a scrubby sponge. How do you clean yours?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 05-04-2014, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)

Are they for your private use or for sale?

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#3 of 14 Old 05-04-2014, 01:55 PM

Generally I wipe our hens' eggs with a scotchbrite pad under cold tap water, but only if they're severely crapped up.

Ducks are habitually bad mothers. They'll lay their eggs just about anywhere as I found out last month when clearing the gutters of our farmhouse. rolleyes.gif

doopamama likes this.
#4 of 14 Old 05-06-2014, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

Are they for your private use or for sale?

I want to be able to sell some. I'm satisfied with how they look for our private use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderpig View Post

Generally I wipe our hens' eggs with a scotchbrite pad under cold tap water, but only if they're severely crapped up.

Ducks are habitually bad mothers. They'll lay their eggs just about anywhere as I found out last month when clearing the gutters of our farmhouse. rolleyes.gif

They will! In the mud, in puddles, in grass, in the driveway...

#5 of 14 Old 07-15-2014, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
we sue hot water, as hot as you can stand actually, that way the egg contents are expanding and pushing icky out of the shells rather than absorbing gunk.

wash DAILY. i've found that dirt and gunk left on our chicken shells will actually stain them to some degree when they're not washed the day they come in.

Farming mama to DD1 (10/18/07), DD2 (10/3/09) who are always DS born 8.21.14 and wife to loving hubby (6/23/2007).
#6 of 14 Old 07-16-2014, 09:20 AM

Duck eggs are a bit smoother than chickens' eggs. That seems to make the mud permanently stained. For chickens, the solution is to first make sure that their coop is as clean and dry as possible, and the nest boxes lined nicely, and the eggs collected frequently so fewer hens have the chance to get their inevitably dirty feet on the other eggs in the box. Ducks you can't easily keep their area dry as they will make mud with their drinking water and while you can not give them a pool to swim in, you can't very well not give them water to drink. Mud and ducks go together, and that gets on their eggs unavoidably, and duck eggs seem to absorb the mud color. Not a problem for home consumption, not so great for sale.

Personally, would make a note to insert in the cartons for sale saying something like : "Yes! These eggs have been cleaned! Our ducks live a natural life with plenty of water to swim in. That means that the ducks will get mud on their eggs. We've thoroughly washed off the mud, but some off the color remains behind. So, enjoy your duck eggs, and be glad you are supporting an environment where ducks can be ducks! Thank you!"

You also might try out the breeds that are more careful about where they lay their eggs. I have no direct experience with this yet, but I understand that call ducks are among the worst, sometimes laying mid-pond and others, like Orpingtons, which are dual-purpose birds, are more selective (though they might not lay as frequently.) Don't trust my advice, ask around for breeds that are a little better at keeping their eggs out of the mud in the first place, though I doubt you will ever find laying breeds that are as selective as chickens.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#7 of 14 Old 07-17-2014, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post
Personally, would make a note to insert in the cartons for sale saying something like : "Yes! These eggs have been cleaned! Our ducks live a natural life with plenty of water to swim in. That means that the ducks will get mud on their eggs. We've thoroughly washed off the mud, but some off the color remains behind. So, enjoy your duck eggs, and be glad you are supporting an environment where ducks can be ducks! Thank you!"

You also might try out the breeds that are more careful about where they lay their eggs. I have no direct experience with this yet, but I understand that call ducks are among the worst, sometimes laying mid-pond and others, like Orpingtons, which are dual-purpose birds, are more selective (though they might not lay as frequently.) Don't trust my advice, ask around for breeds that are a little better at keeping their eggs out of the mud in the first place, though I doubt you will ever find laying breeds that are as selective as chickens.
I agree with both of these points. I've read that the more you "clean" eggs, their storage life gets shortened. I think educating the consumer about the real agricultural environment (and how that doesn't necessarily pose health risks, but is cosmetic) is important.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#8 of 14 Old 12-06-2014, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't mind buying "dirty" eggs
#9 of 14 Old 01-19-2015, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Don't most people who like fresh free range eggs fine with a little gunk on the eggs?
#10 of 14 Old 01-19-2015, 01:15 PM

Oh, that's a great tangent, and I would say... it depends. Some folks who love the idea of fresh free range eggs really have zero knowledge of what raising chickens and ducks is like. Even in free range conditions, there is a lot of poo and mud. I see chicken hocks and feet sold for stock, and even after raising chickens for years, helping butcher chickens I know personally, I still cannot look at the chicken feet and imagine those things cooking in my soup. Chicken feet, even free range chicken feet, are far too close to the ground for me!

Knowing that, why is it so easy to clean off any poo and mud from an egg and eat it with no qualms? They clean up easily, perhaps that's why. But I can imagine some folks not really getting on with idea. If it was fresh, clean mud from fresh clean wherever, but it's never just that. Poo poo and more poo. And many people have no idea that eggs arrive in this world from the same place as that poo. My sister, as much as she likes the idea of free range eggs, cannot even abide with the idea that those chickens will eat bugs (I haven't told her what else they eat!)

So, it does not follow that people who like the idea of free range eggs would not mind them needing cleaning.

#11 of 14 Old 01-19-2015, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillymum View Post
Don't most people who like fresh free range eggs fine with a little gunk on the eggs?
NO!!

I certainly don't - if it should crack while boiling I don't want that in my water. I don't want to re-clean them. I buy the cleaner eggs over the person who doesn't clean them. My egg man also wants them clean because they do re-use the cartons.

I get duck eggs only at Easter (because the only place I can get them at I am not high enough up on the order list-wish I was!!) and I do want them clean because I dye them with onion skins.

ANTI-GMO too! & Proud of it!  
 pro-transparency advocate
&
  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.
Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."       
#12 of 14 Old 03-24-2015, 04:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderpig View Post

Ducks are habitually bad mothers. They'll lay their eggs just about anywhere as I found out last month when clearing the gutters of our farmhouse.
This- I find you can even just use a rag and cold tap, just make sure not to push on too hard when scrubbing for the obvious reasons
#13 of 14 Old 03-28-2015, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doopamama View Post
we sue hot water, as hot as you can stand actually, that way the egg contents are expanding and pushing icky out of the shells rather than absorbing gunk.

I use cold water; I thought I read that cold water makes the pores of the shells contract to prevent the muck from seeping in?

8/2002 = 1 + 3
#14 of 14 Old 05-09-2015, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voondrop View Post
I use cold water; I thought I read that cold water makes the pores of the shells contract to prevent the muck from seeping in?
"Cold water will cause the contents of the egg to shrink, creating a vacuum that will pull bacteria and other nasties into the egg through the porous egg shell. Warm water, on the other hand, will cause the contents to expand against the shell, preventing bacteria from entering."
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/cleaning-and-storing-fresh-eggs

Imo,using as hot water as you can stand isn't entirely necessary. You don't want to start the cooking process. Washing your hands in warm water raises the temp just enough to kill most nasties, eggs are no different. Still, i think sandpaper is by far better option for most eggs.

Tags
Country Living

Recommended Reading
User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page