How to get eggs cleaner? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Spiderpig

#1 of 7 Old 05-04-2014, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Any tips on getting stains off of eggs? The chicken eggs are not bad but the ducks tend to lay kind of wherever they are, which frequently involves mud. I currently scrub all of the eggs with plain running water and a scrubby sponge. How do you clean yours?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 05-04-2014, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

Are they for your private use or for sale?

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#3 of 7 Old 05-04-2014, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Generally I wipe our hens' eggs with a scotchbrite pad under cold tap water, but only if they're severely crapped up.

Ducks are habitually bad mothers. They'll lay their eggs just about anywhere as I found out last month when clearing the gutters of our farmhouse. rolleyes.gif

doopamama likes this.
#4 of 7 Old 05-06-2014, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

Are they for your private use or for sale?

I want to be able to sell some. I'm satisfied with how they look for our private use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderpig View Post

Generally I wipe our hens' eggs with a scotchbrite pad under cold tap water, but only if they're severely crapped up.

Ducks are habitually bad mothers. They'll lay their eggs just about anywhere as I found out last month when clearing the gutters of our farmhouse. rolleyes.gif

They will! In the mud, in puddles, in grass, in the driveway...

#5 of 7 Old 07-15-2014, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
we sue hot water, as hot as you can stand actually, that way the egg contents are expanding and pushing icky out of the shells rather than absorbing gunk.

wash DAILY. i've found that dirt and gunk left on our chicken shells will actually stain them to some degree when they're not washed the day they come in.

Farming mama to DD1 (10/18/07), DD2 (10/3/09) who are always DS born 8.21.14 and wife to loving hubby (6/23/2007).
#6 of 7 Old 07-16-2014, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Duck eggs are a bit smoother than chickens' eggs. That seems to make the mud permanently stained. For chickens, the solution is to first make sure that their coop is as clean and dry as possible, and the nest boxes lined nicely, and the eggs collected frequently so fewer hens have the chance to get their inevitably dirty feet on the other eggs in the box. Ducks you can't easily keep their area dry as they will make mud with their drinking water and while you can not give them a pool to swim in, you can't very well not give them water to drink. Mud and ducks go together, and that gets on their eggs unavoidably, and duck eggs seem to absorb the mud color. Not a problem for home consumption, not so great for sale.

Personally, would make a note to insert in the cartons for sale saying something like : "Yes! These eggs have been cleaned! Our ducks live a natural life with plenty of water to swim in. That means that the ducks will get mud on their eggs. We've thoroughly washed off the mud, but some off the color remains behind. So, enjoy your duck eggs, and be glad you are supporting an environment where ducks can be ducks! Thank you!"

You also might try out the breeds that are more careful about where they lay their eggs. I have no direct experience with this yet, but I understand that call ducks are among the worst, sometimes laying mid-pond and others, like Orpingtons, which are dual-purpose birds, are more selective (though they might not lay as frequently.) Don't trust my advice, ask around for breeds that are a little better at keeping their eggs out of the mud in the first place, though I doubt you will ever find laying breeds that are as selective as chickens.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#7 of 7 Old 07-17-2014, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post
Personally, would make a note to insert in the cartons for sale saying something like : "Yes! These eggs have been cleaned! Our ducks live a natural life with plenty of water to swim in. That means that the ducks will get mud on their eggs. We've thoroughly washed off the mud, but some off the color remains behind. So, enjoy your duck eggs, and be glad you are supporting an environment where ducks can be ducks! Thank you!"

You also might try out the breeds that are more careful about where they lay their eggs. I have no direct experience with this yet, but I understand that call ducks are among the worst, sometimes laying mid-pond and others, like Orpingtons, which are dual-purpose birds, are more selective (though they might not lay as frequently.) Don't trust my advice, ask around for breeds that are a little better at keeping their eggs out of the mud in the first place, though I doubt you will ever find laying breeds that are as selective as chickens.
I agree with both of these points. I've read that the more you "clean" eggs, their storage life gets shortened. I think educating the consumer about the real agricultural environment (and how that doesn't necessarily pose health risks, but is cosmetic) is important.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Tags
Country Living

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page