Giradora, Laundry Pod and simliar - Hack? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-12-2014, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I've been looking at alternative laundry washers and am stuck! I would like to find something that will be easy to use and allow us to wash more of our clothes without electricity use. I have a wonder washer and am not a fan. It works great if needed but can be a hassle to use and isn't that well made. I've been looking at the Laundry Pod but after my experience with the wonder washer I'd prefer something that doesn't require manual power from my arms! The Giradora looks amazing! But... it's not available to the public. I've been trying to think up a way to hack it and make something similar for myself until I can buy one of these nifty contraptions. So the main factors I'm looking for are: manual/non-electric, foot powered, "salad tosser" inside to allow for spin drying after washing. The cushioned top for you to sit on would be a nice additive and fairly easy to do if I can figure out the rest. Any ideas? Has anyone done something similar or found an alternative product like this?

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#2 of 3 Old 05-14-2014, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I don't know of any, but I thought I'd bump this thread up.  I just checked out the GiraDora on the Inhabitat site, and it looks pretty cool.  

#3 of 3 Old 06-19-2014, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I'm still watching the Giradora but from the looks of it it's gonna be a long time before they're ready for purchase. I actually was talking to dh about this today (because he saw it pulled up still from me checking on it again lol). He thinks he can make a manual powered washer and spin dryer from an old washing machine that would work. It won't be anything like the giradora because I'm thinking he's most likely going to go with the bicycle powered style but if I can get a manual washer and spin dryer that's efficient and convenient enough to use that I no longer need a washer and dryer I'm all for it! I'm hoping he'll cook up a nice design for me soon so maybe I can test one out.

Tags
Country Living , Off The Grid

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page