Anyone moved to another country (outside USA)? Canada? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By crazyms

#1 of 6 Old 07-11-2014, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Anyone moved to another country (outside USA)? Canada?

Have you moved from USA to a different country to live off-grid or the country life? Please share your experience. Was it easy? How about the legal stuff and getting a job? Can you own property as another citizen?

I'm wondering if we should move to Canada. We are just starting out our country living (been trying it out for about 3 years), but now am wondering about Canada... just north of us - British Columbia. It's slightly warmer than where we are so that would nicely extend our growing season. But, that's not the only reason we'd move out there...

Super Mom.  Super Wife.  Super Tired.
#2 of 6 Old 07-11-2014, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I haven't ever lived in another country but I had also considered moving to a different country for a variety of reasons and would of course want to be off grid since that's our goal no matter where we are. I think this is the one thing dh is not likely to ever let me do though He did have a short fantasy over the Lasqueti Island after seeing a documentary on it until I showed him the prices. I have never considered Canada though. Too cold for me. As a southern girl I'm not sure I could survive an honest winter. I'd be better off moving further south. Heat, humidity and rain are things I understand. Snow... idk about that.

ETA: Oh I haven't really looked at Canada before but I'm pretty sure you can buy property in another country without being a citizen. If you planned to move and live on the property though I'd definitely want to know what the laws and such were as far as getting citizenship and visas and residency until then. Whether or not you wanted to become a full citizen is a major decision also and something to consider. I'm not sure how things work out with dual citizenship either. I think it really depends on the country. That's a major thing to consider as well if you would need or want to become a full citizen of just the other country. There are great reasons to move abroad but I think it'd be very difficult to do without a true love for the new country. Just something to consider.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#3 of 6 Old 07-12-2014, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

We LOVE Canada... seen lots of it from Vancouver to Quebec.

The cold is not so bad. I'm thin (little fat for insulation to keep me warm *hehe*) and from the desert southwest. It's not so bad here. Just have plenty of dry wood for the woodstove and dress in down, wool, and layers.

Good to know we can buy property as a foreigner. Dual citizenship would be better...
My Canadian friend tried to buy a house in Arizona and it didn't work out so well... something about not being a citizen. Oh well... oddly, it was the best thing that happened to her (to move back to Canada). Anyway... I know Canada has higher taxes... etc. I just love it there! ...love it every time I visit.

#4 of 6 Old 07-12-2014, 10:25 PM

If you love it and can do it then go for it! I definitely want to move but it hasn't been feasible yet. Dh actually called me today and told me to start saving money because we were going to do it! I'm extremely excited and extra in love with this man right now lol I'm not sure where all he's wanting to consider right now but we'll be starting the talks soon. It'll be quite a while as there's so much to do to prepare. I wouldn't expect to move for at least a year if not 2-3 but I'm glad we decided for sure what we're going to do as far as housing. The not building on the property yet but not moving was making me crazy living in limbo here. I'm excited to see what we decide. It'll be interesting to look at areas and decide where will be best for us. If you love Canada I say go for it! It's always better to live somewhere you'll be happy then try to make things work in an area you don't care for if you can.

#5 of 6 Old 07-13-2014, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

So excited for you 'going for it'. It's time... time to get out into the country. I hope you are able to figure it out and be out there soon.

#6 of 6 Old 07-13-2014, 10:13 AM

Thanks! We're in the country where we live right now but we haven't set up a permanent home anywhere yet. I feel so much better knowing it won't be in this area. Now I just need to figure out where it will be.

Have you looked around anymore at Canada and what you might do? Here's a few links I found that I thought might help you.
Immigrate to Canada http://www.cic.gc.ca/enGlIsH/immigrate/index.asp
Buying and Selling Canadian Property (This is for British Columbia too!) http://www.bcrea.bc.ca/working-with-...adian-property

HTH!
germin8 likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page