Poultry Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-18-2014, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Poultry Thread

Mainly I just wanted to post the Further Adventures of Midnight the Cantakerous D'Anvers. (Belgian D'Anvers are a true bantam breed.) Background: she got banished from the flock. But don't feel sorry for this biddie-- she most definitely started it and last year's pullets finally realized they were bigger than she was and attacked her at every opportunity. She is now living outside the coop, free ranging, and I've set up a roost for her in the yard, just outside of the coop so she feels like she's still "one of the flock" (snort!)

We've combined our old and new flocks, and the door to the coop was opened so they could go outside.

Middie is allowed to free range by the house and there is a fence that prevents the flock from heading straight to the house and poo everywhere.

She's managed to get around this fence and was experimenting with creeping in the door. I let her, to see if she could work her way back into the flock.

Eventually she is bold enough to come all the way into the coop and starts scaring off the pullets. No big deal. Let her work it out.

Then she trots into the yard and *picks a fight with a cockerel* (bantam, thankfully)who was sitting calmly in the shade under the elderberry. He obliges and nearly kills her before I get her away. Well, it probably would have taken more to kill her, but she did go away with a bloody comb. I shut her in our portable greenhouse/pen for the rest of the day.

She reminds me of the dog that attacks bees because once it attacked a bee and got stung, now it must attack all bees, and so the cycle goes on.

Rehoming her is impossible. I could never inflict this sweet, frustrating bird on anyone, unless she's a chicken lady who will pamper her to the exclusion of all chickens. She is really sweet to people. An absolute nightmare around birds.

Sigh. Just thought I'd share.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2014, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
LOL she sounds like fun. We don't have any girls that are causing a fuss. We did end up with too many boys somehow though and so now I'm having to watch them. I hope we don't have to get rid of any. Ugh.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
Old 07-18-2014, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
We were in your shoes two years ago-- we had something like 9 cockerels. Eventually they made it impossible to go in the coop, were constantly harassing the pullets. The girls wanted to keep them for 4-H, but it ended up being impossible. We (well, my friend and I) butchered all but one, but then that one became a PITA for me and dh killed him.

This year we managed only 5 cockerels in a batch of 17 chicks and everything is peaceful so far. The girls are old enough to mind me when I say "don't get in between the cockerels or push them off the pullets" etc. So far so good.

I hope your batch is mellower than my flock 2 years ago!

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."

User Tag List