Mothering Forum banner

Greenhouse: 6mm or 10 mm twin wall UV protected polycarbonate

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  germin8 
#1 ·
Okay, we get 6 feet of snow a year and down to -10F (the lowest).

We are deciding between two greenhouses.

One, is 10 mm twin wall but the roof is barn style and can hold 20 lb/sqft of snow (that's about one foot of snow per square foot). This means we have to sweep the snow off.

The other is 6 mm twin-wall and the roof is angled so snow slips off (no manually sweeping of snow required). It holds the same 20 lb/sqft of snow.

The 10 mm is nice because of the cold weather. And, it might actually be necessary... we are not sure... for this cold weather.

But, if we are gone for anytime in the winter, nobody is going to be here to sweep off the roof for us.

Not sure. Any ideas, if the 6 mm would be sufficient? Would the 10 mm extend our growing season or just be easier to keep warm? I know their R values would be different so guessing the latter.

#2 ·
I would pick the one with the angled roof. If you get that much snow it could be difficult to sweep snow even if you were home all the time. And it it snows overnight, you could awake to a disaster. I also think you could probably find ways to improve the insulation of the other greenhouse with plastic & joint sealing. I suppose that you can't get a more insulated greenhouse with a different roof configuration?

#4 ·
... I suppose that you can't get a more insulated greenhouse with a different roof configuration?
Correct. Not the for price range we are aiming for. And, this one has great reviews.

Ahh ha! Snow over night… waking to a disaster? Oh my. You are right!

And the solar gain… that's what I thought but wasn't sure. We don't have great southern exposure.

I will go with the sloped one. Thanks ladies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.