Mothering Forum banner

Sustainable Homes

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  JamieCatheryn 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I joined the forum mainly to find out about sustainable and off grid living.

I've looking to build my own shipping container house. I'm wondering if anyone on here has built their own :grin: ?

At the moment I'm finding most of my information from here, does anyone else know good websites that talk about how to build your own container home- most of the sites I've found just show the end pictures like design-milk?

#4 ·
Strawbale walls are superinsulated, you'd need to add insulation when converting a shipping container, the energy efficiency as far as heat loss depends entirely on how much you add and it would take a lot to rival strawbale. If you build simply, do it mostly yourself or with friends, and scrounge materials, then either method could be done cheaply. If you go fancy or hire help it will cost as much as conventional building.

I wonder which method would be easier to get permitted? There are very few places you can legally build a home without code inspections and permits nowadays.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.