Any Carla Emery fans? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-11-2005, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering if anyone else loved her "Encyclopedia of Country Living".

(I'm currently a city mouse from the country wishing to get back to the country.)
#2 of 10 Old 02-18-2005, 09:03 AM

Me, me!
I check it out from the library and re-read it from time to time.
I am quitting my babysitting job in May, and looking forwad to actually growing some things in the garden and living a little more simply...we have 3/4 acre in the country, not a farm by any means, but I can surely do more with it than I have been.
#3 of 10 Old 02-26-2005, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry I didn't check back on this thread for awhile.
Glad to hear someone else enjoys her book- I highly recommend it to anyone who is into country living; it is such a fun read.
Bluegrass, did you try many of her recipes/etc.? I actually made rawhide with a cow hide a few years back using her instructions, and it turned out pretty good. My mom had an edition from the 70's. I was given the new edition for Christmas a couple years ago, and it was still very good...but had lost a little of it's grass-roots charm.
I love flipping through it and dreaming of getting out of the city again!
#4 of 10 Old 02-26-2005, 10:41 AM

Do you read Countryside magazine? If you enjoy Carla Emery, you'll enjoy it. Mostly reader-written.
I also like the Homesteading Today boards, for the information, although the people there mostly seem to be very conservative. I stay out of the General Chat area, it gets a little too heated there for me.
I don't know if I tried any of the recipes, I usually have to turn it back in to the library before I actually get to try what I am hoping to.
#5 of 10 Old 02-26-2005, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

I've never heard of Countryside. I'll have to check it out. I'm a big Mother Earth News fan. I usually pick up the magazine and sometimes lurk the forum. I find that there's a pretty broad range of ideologies there, but they usually keep it pretty civil. The only problem I find with most magazines is that because I am in Saskatchewan, often building and gardening ideas don't apply because of our climate!
#6 of 10 Old 02-27-2005, 01:08 AM

You can check out Countryside here
I like it a lot better than Mother Earth News. People from all over the world contribute, although the majority are in the US, I have seen many articles from people in Canada.
#7 of 10 Old 02-27-2005, 03:09 PM

Ooooh, I love this book! I've got it out of the library right now (overdue : ), and it's on my "must purchase" list. I'm also dreaming about getting out of the city (we should totally start an eco-village . . .)

Mandy
#8 of 10 Old 02-27-2005, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

I just signed up for the free issue offer on the countryside website. I love getting free stuff in the mail.
#9 of 10 Old 05-20-2005, 09:30 PM

I love Carla Emery's book! My husband and I live on his family's ranch, although we don't do much ranching. We just wanted to live in the country, and take care of the land. That book has been really handy, not so much in everyday information, but in what to do in the case of certain events (power out, no water, etc.). Also, if we ever raise more livestock, it will be more handy. I think if civilization came to an end, I'd be alright as long as I had that book, and The art of Shen Ku, also. Has anyone read that one? If you haven't, you should check it out. It has all kinds of useful information - everything from knot-tying and herbs, to self-defense and forecasting weather. here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...466722-2814440

I also love Countryside! We subscribed to Mother Earth News for years, but have let it go recently. There's still good information in it, but it got to the point where we were referring to it as Mother Yuppie News! Backhome is a pretty good one, too.
#10 of 10 Old 05-22-2005, 02:01 AM

I do!! I actually had the privilage of hosting her 2 years in a row while she was on tour She is an awsome person. I have 1 of her early publishings too.

Check out her website www.carlaemery.com She is doing public speaking about homesteading and natural living.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page