Let me start by saying I have fallen in love with cob construction, the detail, design, creativity and beauty is just amazing! Dh and I are inheriting a good amount of land from my grandmother (btween 2 and 10 acres not sure yet) over the course of the next five years and plan to build a home on it. After seeing pictures of cob homes I would love to at least incorporate cob construction into my home. Here are my questions (bare with me I am very new to this whole idea)
1. Can you build a cob home in New England (massachusetts)? We have cold, snowy winters and I wonder how well it will hold up. The house will be in the woods so I dont know how much direct sunlight it will get
2. Is it possible to do a cob interior, some sort of insulation, and then a wood exterior? Dh and i love natural wood and I thought having a wood exterior and insulation between the wood and cob would allow us to live in this climate
3. How much would it cost to have someone build a cob home for us? Dh and I both work full time and could never built it ourselves
4. Can cob homes be big? We plan on having a very large family and want a good sized home
5. How does electrical and plumbing work in a cob home? (maybe a dumb question) Is it just the same as if you used sheetrock?
6. Any links to cob builders in New England?
okay I think that's enough questions for now, but I'm sure I'll have more. If anyone is experienced with this PLEASE pm or email me ([email protected]
) because I would love to discuss ideas and questions with you. Thanks so much!!! I'm really excited about building a natural home