Getting rid of poison oak? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-08-2005, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are looking for land (5 acres or so) in the Sierra Foothills. Thing is that there is A LOT of poison oak on most parcels (we are looking at 2500-3500 ft. elevation). Lots of great pines, oak, madrones, etc live in the same environment. SO, what do we do to get rid of it in the least toxic way?

Has anyone had experience with clearing the po from their property? I don't want to have to worry about the kids every time they go out to play that they are going to get exposed. They are 4 and 2, so it is hard to make sure they understand what to avoid, plus there are places where you simply cannot walk without seeing it every few inches.

Looking for some hope and advice. Otherwise, everything is beautiful and almost perfect here!
#2 of 5 Old 06-09-2005, 04:13 AM

Some people rent herds of goats to come in and eat it. The goat owner will come in and put up an electric fence and move it over a few days to clear it out. Here is an article about it www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/6574462.htm The only other non-chemical way I know of is to suit up and dig it up all up, and don't burn it! After wash with cold water and fells naptha or technu soap to get the oils off your skin, and be really careful washing your clothes.
#3 of 5 Old 06-12-2005, 04:57 PM

poor boiling hot water on the root system..intensive if you have it every where.

work on building up immunity by drinking small bits and increasing dosage. otherwise i dont know.

very pretty area though good luck
#4 of 5 Old 06-13-2005, 09:29 PM

Not at all what you want to hear, but Roundup was all we could find that worked. As far as building up an immunity, I'd be cautious about eating it, and anyway if your kids have friends over then they would be covered with the itches when they went home! When we used roundup we had to do some monster spray jobs, then some touch ups every year for a while after that to make sure it was really gone.

Poison oak is lame, isn't it!

Good luck...

Cara
#5 of 5 Old 06-13-2005, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhoneyswife
As far as building up an immunity, I'd be cautious about eating it, and anyway if your kids have friends over then they would be covered with the itches when they went home!

Cara

very good point.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page