Anyone here own a goat for the milk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-14-2005, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So DD is super allergic to cows milk. She is breastfed. I am 9 months pregnant so she hasn't gotten my milk in a while and I am hoping that she will continue to nurse after this baby is born.

So we have been giving her goat's milk which she likes. It is super expensive and DH is I think seriously considering buying a goat for the milk. We have the property to keep one and our city would let us I am just not sure how to go about it.

Of course I have ALWAYS wanted a goat since I was little too!

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 06-17-2005, 01:03 AM

So you're wondering how to take care of a doe and milk her? There's a really good website: www.sheepandgoat.com that can give you most all the information you could want.

DH and I had a mixed herd of sheep and goats, and while I never bothered milking the sheep, we did milk two of the most docile goats. We LOVED their milk, as did DD. The thing about keeping your own goat is that you will be strapped to her during the period of time that you are milking her. So unless you have SUPER sweet neighbors and/or family nearby, you can nix any kind of travelling (even an overnight trip). We milked our two while they were still nursing, but that still required one large milking in the morning. If they were not nursing their kids (which happens after a period of time...the kids discover the joys of grazing), then we needed to milk them once in the morning and once in the evening to keep their production up and keep their bags from developing mastitis.

Goats have an incredible nack for finding ways out of their pen...we had them going under, finding the crack between the gate and post and getting through there (at least their heads), and had one doe who was notorious for climbing whatever fencing stood between her and whereever she wanted to go.

Watch out for horns. With a gentle doe, horns are not an issue. But we've come across a few who would use them with a not-so-nice purpose in mind.

Even though you might think it cheaper to have a buck...they are SO not worth it! So you'll need your doe bred by a nearby buck or can buy an AI kit.

Goats are herd animals...it's good to have two as they get into less trouble than being by themselves, although I've heard of goats doing fine with the owner's dog/cat/duck around.

That being said, a well-behaved and sweet-tempered doe is a joy to have around!

Hope that helps.

Momma to the monkeys three
#3 of 8 Old 06-17-2005, 03:42 AM

Thanks for the info!
#4 of 8 Old 07-12-2005, 09:02 PM

There are mini's that milk well like the Nigerian Dwarf & Pygmy. You could start out with a mini and then move on to a awesome milker like a Nubian. This is what we did but we now raise Boer's and sell for meat profit and we have a few Nubians for milking. They do make a goat panel now but it is very hard to find. That is what we use. The reason is because they cannot get their heads through nor can they climb it. It is also strong enough to hold a medium sized buck but not our 300 lb Boers.

Nicole
traditional food eating, AP momma, homesteading, crafty, infertility survivor mom ttc #2,
#5 of 8 Old 07-14-2005, 01:21 AM

Of the minis, Nigerian dwarves make excellent dairy animals, even if their yield is on the low side. I have no trouble training the ND's to be milked or milking them - they take right to it. We tried to milk the pygmies when we inherited a few - they ARE offically a dual purpose breed, but milking them was sort of useless and the size of those teats - it was sort of silly!!! Just my 2 cents.
#6 of 8 Old 07-19-2005, 09:15 AM

:

DH is talking about getting a goat for milk. I'm glad I found this thread.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#7 of 8 Old 07-20-2005, 05:47 PM

: Me too!
#8 of 8 Old 07-22-2005, 05:09 PM

I am having problems nursing my 4 month old, and we are feeding her goat milk. It is costing us about $5 a day! so we are also considering a dairy goat and a friend for her. I found this site to be *very* informative.

http://fiascofarm.com/goats/

They had the answers to all my questions. It looks a little daunting though...having to breed the goat every year...chances are you won't get milk through the summer, and especially debudding the horns on the newborn kids...which would definately be dh's job! (it is done with a hot iron pressed against their heads)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page