Advice please... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-04-2005, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are a family of 7. 5 kids from 13 to 8 months. We are looking to buy a house, and the stuff in the city where we live is just too expensive. We found what could, with a few improvements, be our dream home. It is 50 minutes from where we live now, in a very small town. The house itself is on several acres.

Here is my question. Will the isolation be too hard on the kids? Our 13yo is back in PS this year after 2 years of HS, and presumably she would go to the local schools there. However, the house is far enough from any neighbors that getting her to friends' houses and vice versa would fall largely to her needing a ride. She will have access to the phone, and instant messaging, and such.

Our 7 and 5 yo's are HS'd. They go to swimming lessons w/MIL, and for a sleepover once a week. For that, we would have to meet MIL halfway, and so forth, as it is a bit of a drive for her.

The 3yo and the baby, I'm not so concerned about yet. Right nopw they are perfectly happy to play with eachother, and the older kids.

The town is about 20 minutes from a town with a fantastic park, pool, theater, and such, so it's not like livin outside of civilization.

I really want this house, it's what I've dreamed of, but am I being too selfish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2005, 12:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It certainly would be a change for them, but I'd go for it. Some things that might make you feel better.....I'm sure the kids in the local PS have adapted to rural life, so your adventurer will pick up on how local kids get arouhd/socialize pretty quickly. Also, maybe your local HS'ing connections know someone who lives there now? That might give you an idea of enrichment programs/swim lessons and the like available, especially to the HS community. Good luck!

User Tag List