Forum Jump: 

Old 09-20-2008, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleweather View Post
Come to the dark side, we have cookies!

Seriously, though. Soapmaking is awesome and so easy. Don't let all that fear of lye stuff scare you.
LOL, cookies?

I'M not afraid of lye, but my MOM is trying to make me be!

I'll definitely try it - after I do 100 other projects (making my own bread, decluttering, etc.)

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2008, 11:31 AM

We are trying to be more self sufficient. I have quite the black thumb but I did manage to grow tomatoes and basil this year. I even managed a few cucumbers before the cucumber beetle killed my plants. The problem is I don't have a spot that gets really good sun most of the day.
Over the coming year I want to get canning supplies, an extra freezer, stockpile of grains and legumes, and a grain mill.
We are paying down debt and trying not to incur more (other than dh's student loans-he is going for his masters).
I have a sewing machine-I just need to learn how to use it.
I would love to get a couple of chickens but I think my neighbors would freak (right on top of each other in the burbs).
Clean everything with baking soda and vinegar. I am contemplating making my own detergent and soap.
We use cloth napkins and I am working on a stash of towels to replace paper towels. I definately use less than I used to. Now, if only I can convinve dh on the cloth tp.
I have been working on decluttering to keep better track of what I have and what I truly need.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
Old 09-20-2008, 04:02 PM

Hi...everytime I look MDC has something different for me. Seriously, there's EVERYTHING here!

We're now learning how to garden and have been successful with potatoes, onions, kale, spinach, beets, peas and carrots. We've also put in several raspberry bushes and are considering getting an apple tree and lining our hedges with saskatoon berries!!!! We're learning how to preserve foods and today is our first step! We pickle beets today.: Next weekend is saskatoon jam from frozen berries and the weekend after that we'll do some canning of green beans.

We are thinking about our options outside the city and it's so exciting to see what people are thinking about!!! I was amazed when I read that the farmermama was doing this THREE years ago! Man am I ever out of the loop!

We've also furnished our bookshelves with several books on preserving, buying land, housebuilding, farming and Where there is No Doctor. It seems like even from where we sit here in Canada things are getting skinnier and skinnier. I'm glad that we're moving in that direction but it seems like we have to work harder to catch up!!!
Old 09-20-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post
Yes, we've been working on being more self-sufficient. What we've done:
[*]Above all, adjusted our attitudes
This is just the big one. I don't know how to summarize the attitude adjustment, but I'll try. We no longer feel entitled to a "comfortable" lifestyle. We feel excited about relying on ourselves. We weigh the costs of convenience. We don't expect our future to look like our present. There's probably more, but I think you get the idea.[/LIST]
:

Couldn't agree more. I feel like I'm seeing the world with new eyes. My big change is feeling less like consuming for the sake of consuming. I'm actually disgusted by some of the ads I see these days and I feel like they're trying to reel me in and I'm not biting.

For example the Walmart ads where the mum is buying everything her kids ask for her, including whining for Hannah Montana. It's spilling over onto everything for me, the gifts I give, what I choose to buy and why.

I remember there's some biblical reference to a man having scales on his eyes and not being able to see...then the scales come off. That's pretty much how I'm feeling right now!
Old 09-20-2008, 06:54 PM

This thread is three years old!

I hope the original posters come back and give updates!

Resistance is futile Matey
Old 09-21-2008, 01:46 AM

Yikes. I look back on my post from 3 years ago & want to : A hybrid? Good grief, what was I thinking?? Anyway, we're working at paying off debt, but it's going slower than hoped. We did set up a solid budget plan that we always stick to; there's just so little extra, and I don't want to put off buying durable goods, either. We just bought a simple wood stove, for example. We got a little flock of ducks last year, although they may go bye-bye if they don't up their egg production. We planted 2 pear trees, 2 apple trees & expanded the garden. Blueberry bushes go in next spring. We got a trailer for the bike. DH is expanding his DIY skills & I've tried more canning. We've gotten to know the neighbors better - none like-minded, but very nice folks. So I plan to keep plugging away.

I've put thought on & off to cashing in the 401k to get debt paid off. I often feel it would be a bird in the hand. I'm thinking along the lines of taking the current mortgage pymt & being able to put it toward a large wooded lot (hardwoods) or something along those lines. Who knows. Before we know it, the 401k may be worth hardly anything & the point will be moot.

ETA: My favorite quote has become "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 12-02-2008, 03:01 AM

Hi there,
I'm a long time lurker/ rare poster

We live in Portland, OR suburbia and are in the process of buying a Nubian dairy herd. My parents live between us and the Oregon coast and have 22 acres that have been in our family since 1846.

Recently, I talked the whole family into the sustainable micro eco-farming thing. I have a full time career and a baby, and really want to leave the rat-race and live more simply.

We paid off our credit cards this year. We also used our flex plan monies to stock up on medical supplies in case TSHTF. I also stocked up on food from our garden, the parent's farm, and the farmer's market. But I still feel vulnerable.

In the library out at the farm, I found an old depression era cookbook. I left it there though! GRRR. I can't wait to read it.

Oh - about me - crunchy, no circ, delayed vax (thinking no vax) wanna be hippie mom of 3 sons (20, 18 & 1 1/2), fiance of 1 man.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:39 PM

I find it interesting that in the 1st post, gas was 3.19, and 3 years later, while the economy is probably a bit worse, gas is now down to 1.something.

I was thinking about the self sufficiency thing. I had a discussion with dh about it, and his attitude was that if everything it the fan and he needed meat, he'd catch the ducks down the street and eat them. Which, to me, was idiotic, considering there's really only about 20-30 ducks and hundreds of houses/apts nearby. I got quail, so we can have eggs at least. But he's lacking lots of skills, like processing meat. He's never even cleaned a fish, and his luck with catching them is pretty bad.

I can't even get him to consistently use the reusable bags for shopping, he's so into the "convenience factor".
Old 12-02-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudswinger View Post
I find it interesting that in the 1st post, gas was 3.19, and 3 years later, while the economy is probably a bit worse, gas is now down to 1.something.

I was thinking about the self sufficiency thing. I had a discussion with dh about it, and his attitude was that if everything it the fan and he needed meat, he'd catch the ducks down the street and eat them. Which, to me, was idiotic, considering there's really only about 20-30 ducks and hundreds of houses/apts nearby. I got quail, so we can have eggs at least. But he's lacking lots of skills, like processing meat. He's never even cleaned a fish, and his luck with catching them is pretty bad.

I can't even get him to consistently use the reusable bags for shopping, he's so into the "convenience factor".
Your DH sounds like mine used to be. He was so used to his life of convenience that any change I brought up was met with "But WHY? It's so much easier to just buy it at the store..." It's taken him awhile, but he's slowly coming around to new things. We started small with things like cloth bags, cloth diapers and wipes for the babe, natural/DIY cleaners, and cloth rags instead of paper towels. This summer he tasted a black berry from the bushes he'd scorned and refused to help me plant two years ago and he freaked out. Said they were the most amazing thing he'd ever tasted and why didn't I share any of these berries with him last year? Silly DH. Now he's interested in gardening, especially growing our own orchard and berries. Prior to tasting that first sun warmed berry he hated gardening and didn't want anything to do with spending time or money on it.

I saved up my own money (from Christmas/Birthday) and got chickens this summer. He still is iffy on them, but he is coming around slowly. We got off to a rough start because someone sold us birds with illnesses. I started over with disease-free hatchery chicks. I know DH will like them a lot more once they start laying next spring.

Right now I am trying to convince him that homemade foods are better. He likes processed food. Reallly likes it. I've been offering him a zillion different bread recipes trying to find one he loves as much as HFCS store bread. I would also love to learn to make my own noodles, cheese, and soap.

Soon I want to start using cloth TP, but I know he won't be on board with that. I think if my toddler and I use it we'll still cut down on the cost of TP quite a bit!

My DH is going through the application process for a PD in a smaller town (30,000 people) and I have been searching out affordable acreage. If we can afford a small farm (1-6 acres or so) then I plan to plant an orchard, very large garden, get dairy goats, more chickens, etc. If we don't end up moving I will continue with the plan to grow a 20x30 ft. garden in my backyard here, and of course keep my chickens. It takes time to reach all these goals though. This coming year I want to learn to can goods, and learn to knit or crochet well enough to make longies for my new babe due in July! If we move, I'm going to look into getting goats for summer 2010...That will be so exciting.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

Old 12-02-2008, 07:52 PM

We're not so much worried about the economy but we are hoping to move home (to the midwest) soon and buy a little house with some land. We moved to Portland for an apprenticeship that ended due to me getting pregnant and can't wait to go home. Here's a list of some stuff we've been doing because we want to live on the land not really due to the economy but it will certainly help.
No debt
Learned herbal medicine, homeopathics, and how to medically care for ourselves
Learned to Garden
Learned to Can
Learned to Bake bread and cook good food from scratch.
Stock pile food and herbs
Use cloth diapers, cloth pads, and cloth rags
Gather tools
Peter knows how to hunt, fish, and build things.
Learned to wash clothes by hand.
Learned to make and use natural cleaners
Learned knitting, sewing, sewing machine, spinning
Learned how to make soap
Learned Midwifery
Gathering Homeschooling supplies and books
Most of this I learned from my mom or grandmother but some I picked up myself. If anyone in the Portland area would care for a gathering I'd love to hear from like minded folks. So homesick.... I'll stop whinning now.

homesteading, homeschooling,homebirthing wife to an amazing Catholic man, and mother to our two little girls :01/09 and 07/11
Old 12-03-2008, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudswinger View Post
I had a discussion with dh about it, and his attitude was that if everything it the fan and he needed meat, he'd catch the ducks down the street and eat them.
Too funny!! Thank you for that! I can just picture him chasing ducks down the street!:

I'm hoping things hold off another few years and DH will be thru nursing school and we'll be in a lot better position. But if it all goes south fast, we'll probably move onto my in-laws land in rural GA and scrape by (last resort - the land is great but the in-laws . . .not so great).
Old 12-03-2008, 11:54 AM

we are moving to a farm! : we hope to grow most of our own food AND start a CSA within the next few years!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 12-04-2008, 11:40 PM

Trying to refinance to a 10 year mortgage. Rates need to go down just a liiiiiitle more...

Remaining (other than the mortgage) completely debt-free

Cash under the mattres.. well, not quite but almost.

Being extra vigilant about home maintenance things.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:38 PM

in august our personal economic crash hit when dh was laid off..

he's been able to pick up projects here and there that have just been enough to pay the mortgage, and i take care of kids for people to pay the utilities, we get food stamps and medicaid now as well. but have had to default on cc's because we just can't make the payments. luckily we already have a house and a car that we are current on, with no plans to make a major purchase in the next few years so will just have to clean up our credit when dh starts working full time again...

in addition, we'd been already moving in this direction pretty strongly anyway:

* cook from scratch and freeze alot
* grow veggies
* have chickens for eggs (although all are molting so not laying at the moment
* goats (just bred our girl for a hopeful spring birth and fresh goat milk)
* cash only everything (are closing our checking account because as of right now just can't put money in to cover everythign and it keeps getting overdrawn due to bank fees...we are better off using money orders and cash)
* lots of preserving and bulk buying
* barter with local organic cafe owner for bulk organic groceries (i take care of their little girl during the week so we get to eat at their cafe and order food as needed in exchange...makes it so we feel like we are really going out )
* no going out to eat at all (except as noted above.. )
* utilizing free lists on freecycle and craigslist
* bartering with neighbors for things (dh is fixing next door neighbor's computer in exchange for lumber for the play stands for our girls for xmas and other lumber for repairs/projects here...other neighbor brought his computer over and in exchange is going to fix the leak in our roof...dh is building a new computer for another neighbor in exchange for all the parts to upgrade and fix his pc - neighbor bought all the parts...and there is more..haha)
* the couple who own the organic cafe, the mom is also an ND in town so all our medical is covered in our barter arrangement as well
* really just utilizing and organizing more "community" efforts in the area for barters between people...everyone is feeling the pinch right now.
* our goal is to be at least 75% self sufficient in the next 3 years, so we've really been trying to work the bad soil in the back of our property so we can grow in it...it's caliche now, so we are going to do lasagna gardening down there and are starting to lay out the cardboard for that. already have a nice area closer to the house that will be ready for our spring garden this year.

it's scary times for sure, and i guess we just have to do what we can to get by. hard when $20 is all the money you have for the month after paying utilities, car and gas....not much room for emergencies! but we'll survive and move forward as needed. that's really all we can do.

Cat - Mother to Jonathon (1-24-1987) ; Lola (3-24-2003) ; Xiola (9-27-2005) : 8 wks (4-2008) ; 11 1/2 weeks (9-2008); and 7.5 weeks (5-2010) Nana to William (3-27-2009) Blog: AmLo Farms
Old 12-08-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss.army.mom View Post
Too funny!! Thank you for that! I can just picture him chasing ducks down the street!:
Oh, they're easier to catch than that. People are feeding them. They come running at you, especially if you have a bag of food in your hand. He said that one day he was walking by one and just swung his arm around and had one by the neck. They'd all be gone in a day!

He's decent at gardening, we've got some tropical trees, like bananas and papaya. I've done the cloth diapers, but that was all me. I got quail, and they'll be full grown in another month. I'm not sure if they're going to start laying this early, I may have to leave a light on to extend their day. Although we have so much light pollution that it's generally pretty bright outside.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckysam View Post
I got a copy of Living on the Earth, the '68 version, at an estate sale, and it is awesome. It tells you how to make everything, how to can, how to plant ( good for my own browny thumb!) how to sew "groovy" clothes, how to meditate, how to bake and with limited resources, how to make candles and soap, homemade pesticides, delivering babies ( everything that all ucers here already know and do!) it's really great. There is a more recent edition that excludes the "how to grow your own weed" section, lol, and has medical warnings, to cover their butts in this day and age.

Anyway, I highly recommend it for learning how to do everything on your own. I too would like to get some canning jars. I also want to move to the country and have chicken and a garden and a goat for milk! I just feel pulled to do it, not just because of economy. I think it's not going ot get that bad, but I think a big shift is coming and getting back to basics and old crafts and knowledge is part of it. I don't want of feel the need to go back to the 1800's myself, but I would like to be able to live off the land a bit, we don't really do it at all right now.
This book sounded so cool I had to go looking for it online...
I bought the older version so I could read it without the "disclaimers" etc...
Can't wait for it to come in the mail!!
We've been getting back-to-basics for a long time now and are constantly on a quest for cool reading to inspire us~~ The best books always seem to be the older ones...My garage sale finds tend to be my favorites !!

Allison~~ Mommy to 4 amazing troublemakers Newlywed to David Throwing in the towel on Fertility treatments after TTC for 5+ yrs. Simplifying our life in anticipation of cross country move in 2011
Old 12-09-2008, 04:45 PM

I need to hang with some likeminded folks here and reflect on how far I've come.

We have been steadily learning more about gardening/canning/food preservation each year. Acquired some useful things, including a food dehydrator and pressure canner. Increasing the size of our garden and its variety each year. Stretching ourselves to learn new skills. Striving to eat in-season (or from storage in the winter). I've worked to build a surplus of stored food for our family (beans/rice/staples) and rotate it. We are cooking more of these kinds of food. We've also developed relationships with three farmers from whom we buy beef, chicken, and lamb/mutton.

We tried having chickens - it failed, they got eaten - but we're further along the learning curve than we were, and we hope to have some again.

I'm thinking about our family's needs differently and seeking long-term ways to meet those needs, either buy purchasing durable goods now, or creatively coming up with a Plan B for most things in case our access to fuel changes (prices rise, scarcity, etc). We are contemplating how best to manage the fuel and repair needs of our current house if a) we are going to sell within a few years, or b) we end up staying here.

We're keeping in mind nonelectric and/or sustainable versions of things when we need to replace something. I want to spend more time practicing independence from electricity.

I have a job now (!!) which will enable us to pay off our debt, and we are strategizing for if/when DH's income fails. We'll see how things go - we are not counting on his job being secure.

For the past several years, I've been collecting a reference library of self-sufficiency books. Makes me feel more secure, anyway.

I've been educating my kids about alternative ways of life, and trying to manage their expectations for their futures...we can't take things for granted and need to be good stewards. We homeschool and have built IRL community with similar values. We avoid mainstream marketing and are used to doing our own thing.

In the next six months I want to buy more seeds, obtain a few more things on my "buy list" that I haven't gotten to yet, think about more "buy list" type things, pay off our debt completely (soon! except for our mortgage), and save for emergencies and land. Hopefully in the next few years we will be able to buy land; we want to build mortgage-free or as close to it as possible.

My outlook is very different than it was five years ago. I was lost and panicked then. Now I feel much more secure and empowered, but I feel there is still a long way to go. If the economy does not fail, then I will still benefit from feeling secure. If it does, we'll be better positioned to weather it than we would have been. I don't see any downside to being as prepared as reasonably possible. I struggle with wishing the preparation was behind me sooner, but we have to work with the resources we have. Thanks for being here, everyone - it is so helpful to know I am not alone.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
Old 12-25-2008, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I wonder if I read this posting three years ago? I didn't post, anyway. But since that time, I did pay off the car loan, socked away some cash. I also regularly stockpile clothes, especially for the kids and especially winter clothes. I have a good library of craft and how-to books. Cookbooks, too. I can make a decent meal out of little and that is something that takes a good long while to learn. I also have studied herbalism in some depth and learned to wildcraft medicine. We have solar panels that provide some limited electricity, but we could easily make do with what they provided if we needed to. Next I will be storing up some more food. I already keep a fair amount in the house just for convenience and getting the best price through co-op buying, but I am going to increase it a bit. I still buy things at yard sales that are/will be useful, like manual tools. I can bake bread, quilt, make clothes and braid rugs. Next is creating a decent garden. Sometimes weird things come into my posession like a copy of Emergency Childbirth or a book about how to make pajama bottom-like pants in all sizes. And even though I am in general all about getting rid of clutter I hang on to those things. You just never know anymore.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer mama View Post
This is a huge issue for us right now. We just relocated, sold our house, bought land with enough space to grow our own food, grow extra for selling or barter, enough space to grow to meet our animals' needs, and has a woodlot to meet our needs for firewood. We put in a well with a handpump, we have our chickens, ducks, bees, rabbits and two dairy goats, we are working on getting our fall garden in and learning how to magange pasture and getting cover crops/green manures on the spaces that we will want to farm in the future. I already have enough seeds for at least next year (I can be a little obsessive, lol). We are in contact with someone working on getting our biodesiel set up, and I will feel better once that is going. We have no power on our property, and we are thinking of just doing a simple solar set up and maybe a small windmill to work with our hand pump. We have just barely enough from the sale of our house to build a very small house, which we hope to start working on the foundation late winter. Right now we have a trailer to live in while we build (we live fairly close to our MIL and I use her computer when we are here). We want to put some ponds in our property for aquaculture and water storage, a really good rain catchment system our our house and out buildings, plant an extensive permaculturefood forest with fruit and nut trees, berries, etc., basically trying to set up a self -sufficient homestead that meets all our needs and has some extra. Dh's job is a long but doable bike ride from our place, but I would assume if there was a serious economic collapse, his job would be gone and hopefully by then we would be growing/raising enough to maintain us. The place where we live is rural but we have met lots of neighbors who are doing neat things and have lots of skills. We hope to have the remander of student loans paid off in the next few years but we have no mortgage or credit card debt so I feel okay with working at it. I feel like we have some good skills (beekeeping, small scale farming, animal care, food preservation), but I also feel like there is a mountain of info to learn. Like when we got to our property and just had hand tools and some logs to put up structures for our animals; and it was really difficult. I want to get a lot more animals (sheep, for example) and probably buy almost everything the Lehman's catalog carries. Whew, that was a long post, but it has been on my mind a lot lately. It is great to hear what others are doing, what goals you have, and share ideas.
If one decides not to pay their student loan what are the consequences?
Old 12-29-2008, 03:35 AM

"If one decides not to pay their student loan what are the consequences?"

Wage garnishment for one.
Other?
Old 12-29-2008, 05:09 PM

I've been reading Causabon's Book Blog (Sharon Astyk) for some time and what she says really resonates with me personally. I am concerned about the economic crisis we are having, and it is clear to all of us, including the news reporters that we are in a recession, going to a depression. Many economic predictors are saying that 2009 will be the year that America no longer has the type of economy that we had in the past, were we could buy things we wanted or needed. Sharon Astyk says that we need to prepare our selves for slim times, including weaning ourselves off things we don't need, replacing electronic appliances with hand mills, manual can openers ect, and that we need to store food like squirrels do.

If we ignore this problem, there could be and may very well be food riots in the streets, replacing the stealing of someones tennis shoes to stealing from someones garden goods or clothing on their backs.

Some people are taking this to mean, if you want personal goodies like favorite foods, drinks, gifts ect, to start buying those. Sharon is saying store food.

She has a simple Water and Food Storage Plan, which should get you started, if you don't already have a food storage plan, and then you can always augment upon the plan.

I'm not looking forward to storing 60 pounds of rolled oats for example, but I need to start somewhere. I'd love to know what you all have to say about peak oil and Sharon's ideas.

http://sharonastyk.com/

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
Old 12-29-2008, 05:40 PM

Sorry, duplicate post.

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
Old 12-30-2008, 02:17 AM

I LOVE Sharon Astyk's blog! So many good ideas. It is funny to look at my post from so long ago. We have followed through on just about all our plans ( no biodesiel truck though), our strawbale house is done except for finish work (we have lived in it for about a year), the land and gardens are coming along, animals are well, and I have been buying my food in a bulk drop off so we have a good amount of staples stored. We still have a lot of work ahead of us. DH's job is pretty secure, and he has signed a 2 year contract so he will have work for at least 2 years.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:16 PM

I've been trying to at least learn the skills I will need in case of a big meltdown. Here are some things I'm working on, I would like to be completely self-sufficient one day.

*I cook from scratch/freeze batches of food often.
*We have started gardening and are getting better at the food production every day!
*We now have 6 chickens (one rooster, 4 good egg layers, 2 worthless tree chickens!) and 2 ducks.
*we would like to get some land, and a goat or cow.
*We have no credit cards, we try to only deal in cash for everything
Old 12-31-2008, 02:34 AM

Wow. This is a huge and important thread! So one of my questions that comes up while reading the posts about storing food so well and garden raids (oh lord the horror if someone tried to steal my chard I don't know what I would do) Seriously though, I always imagine giving away what others can't grow themselves but how do you prepare for "bandits"? Maybe this is too fear based but DH always wants guns around of which I am adamantly opposed. Does anyone else fear all of our preparedness, how do you share well with others while providing for yourself?

My other question is that so far in my expierence sp? our homegrown veggies and meat are more exspensive than store bought (but ohhhhh so worth it). Or knitting for instance (for the price of handmade wool yarn I can't afford to do it) Or the handmade soap that is waaay more exspensive to make than store bought. So far we have been able to pay the fees but with all the money spent on butchers and electricity for canning etc. sometimes it feels more like a privledge than a smart move financially. Can anyone relate?
Old 12-31-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchmark View Post
Where I live, there are tons of off-the-griders and back-to-the-landers so there is always talk of the economy crashing, which I happen to think is going to happen soon.

Since I don't have an official contract on my land yet there isn't much in the way of prepping garden beds and getting animals right now. I am buying canning jars, learning to can, buying large bags of dry beans and rice, etc. I will also be buying things like supplements and seeds.

I don't necessarily think that everything is going to go haywire to an extreme very soon but do think the cost of everything that has to be trucked in is going way up. Gas here is 3.19.

Are you doing anything different?
For what it might be of worth my friend, you are right on about the coming crash of our economical system...and that it's "Not" going to be the end of the world... Though I'm aware that some tries to use a crystal ball..others may use the woolie worm..:-}
However, technically speaking, the measuring of cycles and a traders basket of other software & tech. tools, does provide a pretty clear cut depression era to develop beginning in Sept. 2012 and worsening into Nov. 2016.
Within this time frame, there are a total of 9 very long term cycles due to combine together into a bottoming cluster.
This has been researches with compiling software designed for back-testing similar pattern clusters to try to gain an insight into a similar economical & social impact, however, the results of such back-testing,[going back 2000 years] failed to find anything similar to this concentrated cluster of 9 economic cycles, all hitting together into such a "short period" of less than 4 yrs. of each other..
There was, however, found a few minor periods of time, whereas 3 and as many of 4 of these long term cycles clustered closely together in our past world history, but the devasting impact then, not only showed hard time years that followed, but showed great social/civil unrest that was so great that I frown to write into all the details of these past reflective periods. [The attempt of genicide in Calcutta was one such time period.]
To answer your question, concerning what we are doing to "prepare"; is building everything into place secluded from the social impacts, but "waiting" until the winter/spring of 2012 to stock up "fresh provisions".
[Normally, it takes approx. 4 years for an average couple to get a new homestead built into place and settled..and we have allowed for this too.]
This coming spring we will be structuring a years around greenhouse to primarily grow a continued supply of Wheat Grass. [hard winter wheat berries]
Wheat grass takes up so much less area to store/grow; matures within 2 wks. for rotation of bed-flats, and contains 104 mirerals & vitamins for our daily suppliment needs for food..[and is extermely energizing to the body] The one vitamin "bata-caritine" that it does not have can be obtained from carrots. Thus food-wise, it's not the wide variety of foods necessary, but the foods "contents" for the energy of the body that is needed. [apart from fiber etc. too] Just some food for thought. :-}
As for gas storage.. With respect to your provisioning plans: Our current powered engines will be going through major changes, as the trend into the future with current developements will be introducing new "Energies" into this world.
Think of Hydra-fuels from water, to run motors, heat homes etc..
Though for short term use..gas storage at the right time would be wise..or you can also go buy some simple parts to convert your motors over to run on hydrogen vapors from water. [requires a 12 volt wave resonator to seperate the H from the O viva vibration, and then the small tank storage to capture the H-vapors.
The coming introductions to what has been available for the benifits of mankind, has been around for a very long time, and likely to shake the very corner stones of our worlds conceptions; also likely to play a roll into the above cyclic times above mentioned.
[ The world cries for the Truth, and is ripe for the discovery of our next era into "Energies", both universal transformational/transmigrational and others for material use.]
The coming transformations should send many to the hurricane shelter until the storms blows over, but not to worry..~it's like the farmers say: "The burning of fields brings a better life crop".
There is truly a New World coming though...:-}

Just as an added note here: We have enough secluded mountain property here in Montana to share the land, cost~free, with additional couples-only as "community neighbors"., The property is too remote for school services, yet close enough to town for work needs. [if interested message us here.]
Old 01-01-2009, 11:18 PM

"how do you share well with others while providing for yourself?"

When the Ingles family was homesteading the first year on their second claim (think Little House on the Prarie), Pa secretly ate raw turnips between meals to quell his hunger and keep him from eating so much good food at dinner (turnips are the only crop that turned out that year).

Laura spotted this, and though a girl of only 11 (?) started doing the same thing to help her Ma and sisters have more to eat.

Goofy story but my point is, in hard times we'll all finds ways to stretch provisions and feed another mouth at the table.

I look at it as a series of circles, the smallest of which includes my children, the next one includes them plus DH and myself, the next larger circle includes some family and friends, on and on.

As things get tighter and tighter, I guess we'll share with smaller and smaller circles. But hopefully it won't get that tough!

Bojingles -- interesting post. I didn't follow all of it, but I'll re-read it. What's the growning season like where you'll be in Montana? Is the only reason it's couples-only because of the proximity to schooling? If so, what about a home- or un-schooling family?

User Tag List