Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PM'ing you.

: madrone - : SAHM to 12 y.o. DS, : 9 y.o. DD, and : 4 y.o. DS
#3 of 7 Old 01-02-2006, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I would love to know this as well.. if anyone has any info for me i would greatly appreciate it - my husband and i would be hoping to start this lifestyle in about 3 years after he gets out of the military and we finish paying off much of our debt
#4 of 7 Old 01-02-2006, 11:08 AM

Not having debt to pay is the most important, IMO. With a major change in attitude about what you need and not having debt to force you into needing a whole bunch more, you can live without having a job. You can be someplace where land pices are very low. You just have to step off the treadmill. Or unplug yourself from the matrix.

I'm not comfortable saying a whole lot on personal stuff here, so how about you pm me?

: madrone - : SAHM to 12 y.o. DS, : 9 y.o. DD, and : 4 y.o. DS
#5 of 7 Old 01-06-2006, 08:56 PM

This is where I want to be too!!! I want my own spot w/ ds, dh, some chickens, goats, and a garden. Dh and I are currently in the situation of having house, hoping to sell and make enough profit to get us out there onto some land. Dh is a teacher and so we can even continue one salary for the first few yrs of starting out. But we do have student loans and one more credit card to get rid of (dh's bachelor yrs). I hate this mortgage and feeling like we can't even live simply and cheaply in this country anymore. But w/ real estate costs soaring as they have been.....how do you do it?
#6 of 7 Old 01-07-2006, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We are doing it in stages. 4 years ago we bought our land, my father build our house for us, it's a small home, we moved in 3 years ago. DD was born then and I quit my job as an RN. DH commutes 35 miles each way to his office each day, we hope in 5 or so years he will be able to do most of his work from home, along with decreasing his amount of work load. I did a garden with a friend last summer at her house so I could learn, this year I hope to have my own. The same friend and I are talking about doing chickens together. It's been baby steps, if we had waited until we could do everything at once, we would never be where we are now.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#7 of 7 Old 01-10-2006, 10:33 AM

I agree that being debt free is ideal.... we still have my husband's student loan but that is pretty much all... We made the move to northeastern Vermont last September, without a job nor much savings, but we had been learning and visiting where we wanted to buy our homestead/farmstead, paying off debt, saving what we could, practicing homestead skills even while in suburbia.

So now here we are renting a fairly conventional house in a small village. DH works a full-time job in construction (which is wonderful because these were the last skills we were lacking and he is learning so much!). His hours are good - 7:00 - 3:30. We continue to try to save (but not getting far), building our home based business (working late night hours as it is growing fast), making everything from scratch, trying to re-use, recycle, etc.... We are praying that there will be some way for us to buy our plot of land this spring to begin our hands on journey on our farmstead.

Warm wishes,
Tonya

Simple Living, Joyful Homemaking, Homeschooling Mom of 6

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page