20 acres/nasty old house/need ideas/random thoughts - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-02-2006, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My partner had bought this property with 20 acres a few years before we got together. The house is HORRIBLE! There's no way we can fix it up without spending tons of money so I'd rather build something else.

We have too much stuff. We have three houses worth of stuff crammed in here and in the sheds. I'd like to cut back A LOT on the stuff we have.

I'd love to upgrade to something nicer and downgrade to something smaller and streamline everything. Someone posted this link on TAO and it got me thinking.
http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/houses.htm
We could live in one of the bigger ones with a basement added no problem.

I'd like to have a wood stove but would there be room? Would it be more practical to use the new oil heater we just put in last year? (electric was too expensive)

We have a budget of $30,000. I want to use only $10,000. We would be building it ourselves with the help of Dan's family. They all help eachother build the other's houses.

I would gut this place for it's fixtures and wood interior (did I mention the inside is gorgeous? but the roof leaks, the whole place is crookeD! and there's barely any insulation!) We also have an awesome place in the city called the Re-Store Store. It's run by Habitat for Humanity and whenever they redo and take down houses they sell the salvagable parts at this store. I can finally have my pink bathroom.

I am not too sure what I am asking here. Maybe suggestions? We're lucky we already have sewage and a drilled well done. The basement might be the most expensive part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-03-2006, 03:04 AM

Hi! personally I would build new on the property. It sounds like that house isn't worth fixing. It sounds like you have enough savings and help to build a new house. Personally my dh and I are building a slip form masonry house. There are many options for building a nice house but mortgage free. Another great option for a well insulated house is straw bale. There is also cordwood masonry or underground houses. If you look online for alternative building meathods you will find lots of great information. You can look for free or recycled materials to build with to really reduce costs. Also building with indigenous materials will lower costs. (like the stone for us since we will be building in the granite state)
#3 of 3 Old 01-04-2006, 04:05 PM

I may be a little biased because my Dh and I are dying to build our off the grid house. I say build. Starting over for yourselves and doing what you want in mind is a nice thing. Good luck.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page