DH is clearing our land today! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-04-2006, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Finally we are closing on the land we found, which is a forest. Dh took his friend, a local native american who knows about the land, to help him clear the land in a good way. We're leaving all the big ponderosas and making it so they can grow healthy. We have 5 acres and we're only clearing a small building site (house is going to be 600 sq. ft.), a garden space, a parking area, and a few paths (we can hardly walk through the land right now). We'll have firewood for quite a while and pinon nuts too (tons of pinon trees!).

We're going to take our camper up there after the clearing so we have a place to stay while we build or camp. I can't tell you all how excited I am to finally know where we are going to be and that something is actually happening towards making a life there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2006, 09:54 PM

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you (and a bit jealous). Dh and I are preparing to do the same thing. Let me know how it goes for you
Old 01-07-2006, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Well, the clearing went well. Three days later we have a building site and a much healthier forest. There was a major forest fire on this same mountain in 1996 (higher up) and it was so bad because the forest was sooooo unhealthy.
We have huge piles of brush that needs either chipping or burning but we have a house site and access finally. I think we'll have a shell for a house this spring.
Good luck to you too.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:29 AM

That was fast! Congratulations to you & your husband. I hope the rest of your build goes as smoothly!

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

Old 01-08-2006, 03:29 PM

Exciting stuff! What kind of house are you building?

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!
Old 01-09-2006, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

It looks like we're building a 400sq ft straw bale (inside dimention) with a loft, maybe partial or maybe full. We have so many friends who have built their own homes and have spent 2+ years and still only have a shell or who had to move out a few times to do finish work. DH has been a contractor and has access to all the heavy equipment. We've both built straw bale before and we think it should go up quick.

Our main concern is getting into the house (completely finished) before it gets cold on the mountain, that's partly why we're building so small. We're going to have space to add on if we want but I kind of envision a few tiny houses all over the 5 acres so we can get space from each other if we need it.

I really wanted to do a bit of cob but it takes quite awhile longer to build with it and straw goes up so fast. Even though the plaster takes quite awhile, we still feel it is best to do straw especially since it is proving to do so well here is dry old NM.

The actual construction won't start until March but we plan on having the footers in place before then so that when DH takes his month off from work, we can throw the walls up and get a roof on really quick.

I'll keep you all posted about it. We'll have internet up there but we are still in town for now.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:41 PM

400 square feet huh? How many kids do you have? I am thinking that my kids might drive me nuts in that small of a space. However, i did like your idea of a few small houses over your property to get some alone time

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!
Old 01-10-2006, 01:08 PM

How exciting! Where are you in NM? We have considered northern NM but water seems like such a problem. What are your plans for water?
Old 01-10-2006, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Yes 400sq feet is small but hopefully we'll have a full loft to double the space. I have two young kids and want another sometime. DH is the one who should worry about getting to live there (we're having trouble).

I am in Northern NM and water is sort of a problem here, mostly because Texas bought most of the water rights back in the day. Taos sits on a huge aquifer and everyone out here has a well if they are outside of the town of taos which is a small space. The mountain where we are going has a few natural creeks and springs and our property has an hour of water rights. Most of our friends who live up there have an hour and they can fill their 4,000 gallon cistern in 20 minutes. That's once a week if they even need it which most of them can go three weeks on that.
Our family of 4 should be able to have plenty of water for a garden and animals with an hour of water.

User Tag List