We are doing it! Yay! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-08-2006, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After years of talking about it we are finally ready to 'do it'. It's taken us a long time to figure out where we want to move to. But we've finally decided where the right place is.

We are currently on 5 acres 15 minutes outside a city of 35,000 people.

Our plan is to sell our home & buy bare land 7 hours from here.
We hope to buy the land in the next 2-3 months.
We are looking into purchasing a kit from a log building company...because with 5 kids underfoot I'm just not sure if we could fell, strip, season, cut the logs & then build a home big enough for us. We'll probably put up secondary buildings that way once we're up there. (Like guest cabins & such)

The home will need to be between 1000-1500 sq ft. We lived in a home until we were expecting #4 that was just under 1000 sq ft. (We are currently in one that is 4000 sq ft & I hate it! It's way too big. And let me tell ya cleaning 4 bathrooms in a PITA! )

We are planning for it to have:
one indoor bathroom with a composting toilet or to be on a septic system like we are on now;
a great room (kitchen/family room) with a woodstove for heating & a woodburning amish-style cookstove/oven;
laundry room with old-fashioned hand crank clothes washer & wall-to-wall clothes lines (it rains too much to only have outdoor clotheslines);
a large bedroom for the girls, a smaller bedroom (like 8x8') for our son & a bedroom for us.

We are planning to be on well water, (hopefully a septic system), be wired (minimally) for electricity to be run by a generator, and are looking into solar power, hydro-electric power, wind power.
We want to be totally off the grid...not connected to a city anything
I would love to have a compact, energy efficient washing machine that we could use say once a week...I don't really want to wash cloth diapers by hand

We are reading books on 'homesteading' and have been trying to slowly work toward learning how to live simply in the bush without most of the modern convieniences.
We do not watch (or have hooked up to a service) TV...if we turn it on we don't even get 'snow'. We do buy PVd DVDs & watch movies once in a while. We don't read the newspapers.
We do have internet (I really don't know how I'm going to live without it...we'll probably keep our laptop which has a wireless connection & drive to where we'll get service).
We do cloth diapering, hang laundry to dry whenever possible, have grown our own produce in raised beds & in a greenhouse that we built ourselves, have grown our own fruit trees (although 3 got destroyed this summer by bears ), have cut down trees & used them for firewood (use a woodstove for heating) & frequently throughout the winter we get blackouts (usually from a snow-laden tree branch falling on power lines) and have to live without electricity for 1-2 days...we have cooked on our woodstove during those times.
We also home-schooled for 3 years (although we put them back into public school last March...I needed a break...the school our girls are at is a rural school w/about 100 students, there are only 7 children in my 5yo's K class...very different from most public schools ) We would return to home-schooling again once we would move.

So over the next few months we are going to continue reading & learning about 'homesteading'. We are going to declutter & streamline our 'material possessions'. We are going to collect the things we will need after we move.
We are going to find, purchase & begin clearing/building on the land.
And hopefully by fall (at the earliest) or next spring (at the latest) we will be off-the-grid!

Mama of 2 boys, 5 girls.grouphug.gif

#2 of 10 Old 01-08-2006, 08:08 PM

Sounds like a great plan! I hope everything works out well for you.
#3 of 10 Old 01-09-2006, 01:52 PM

wow,
that does sound like quite a plan. We were planning on going off the grid with the house we are currently building - reality set in when we started pricing alternative energy systems and realized that to build we would need power for the craftsmen's tools and the only way for that to happen would be for us to set up the system first. We are planning on transitioning to alternatives once we are living in the house and have gotten over the financial hump of building. We did employ passive solar, outdoor wood boiler, radiant heat, and 18" wall cavities with soy foam insulation, which should help with the amounts of energy we will need in the future. Are you planning on full logs? What diameter? They have great r-vals

Also, you have probably already done this, if you haven't checked out your kit company - please do so- My dh worked for a national log home co. and they had major issues with the corporate office/ big wigs, going back on guaratees, instructions, product etc. That made for more than a few : clients

Have a blast in your quest
#4 of 10 Old 01-09-2006, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

We haven't decided on a kit company yet...still researching...

#5 of 10 Old 03-14-2006, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Well...we've decided to wait until next spring to actively look for a suitable property. I'm just not into the stress of travelling 10+ hours each way each time to check out property while pregnant with a 6th baby. I'm busy enough right now.

So...that'll give us lots more research time. Oh...and I think we've rethought the size. 6 kids= at least 1500 sq ft (we'll prob shoot for 1500-2000 sq ft)

#6 of 10 Old 03-14-2006, 01:16 AM

It sounds dreamy!! Really though... I dream of just this!!!

:
#7 of 10 Old 03-16-2006, 07:50 PM

Congratulations and good luck!!!
#8 of 10 Old 03-17-2006, 09:38 PM

Hi, I'm a new member

I'm still in the early planning stages - you sound like you're well on your way! I had never thought of indoor laundry lines like that. I'm hoping to have a sunroom/attatched greenhouse area on our future house, so maybe that would be the ideal place for something like that. I do want to set up an old-fashioned crank washer like you described, too. http://www.lehmans.com is a great site for offgrid goodies like that (try this page - http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?item...3Cat=0&i4Cat=0 )

We live in a mobile home on the outskirts of a city of 24,000+. I grew up in a town of about 6,000, which today is not what it was when I was growing up (my mother and some of her family members still live there, about 20 minutes from here).

I'm hoping we can pay this place off later this year, and then start saving to buy land outside the city (DH has a good factory job here so we can't go TOO far). My ideal would be to build with cob but I'm not sure Indiana building codes would allow it ( ). If nothing else, when we sell this place we can get another used mobile home (or something) to put on the land as temporary housing until we can build something more permanent. I want to go the whole route, too - solar electricity, masonry stove for heat/cooking/hot water, grow all our fruits and veggies and raise goats and chickens. And if nothing else I may be able to use cob to construct outbuildings and a nice garden wall (to keep out predators, and for privacy).

I'll be anxious to read more about your adventures as you go along!
#9 of 10 Old 03-18-2006, 03:12 PM

Whoo! Congrats!

If you want some info on the log home maufacturers in BC PM me. DH has been dealing with a couple of them through work (he is a house designer/ CAD guy) and certainly has opinions about who knows their stuff.
#10 of 10 Old 03-19-2006, 11:06 AM

I'm, jealous!

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page