Why is my fireplace burning wood so quickly? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-23-2006, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm not living off the grid or in the country, but this seemed the most likely place for a response.

I started a fire for the first time this winter in our fireplace, and it's burning through wood really quickly. We had two of those little bundles of wood from the store (overly expensive, I know, but DH forgot to arrange for firewood...again) and we've already burnt through 1 1/4 since around 9:30 AM. Am I doing something wrong?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2006, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Totally not an expert, but have lived in houses with wood stoves/fieplaces my whole life.

My guess would be the type of wood. Certain types of wood burn faster than others. We had some apple wood we used earlier this summer and it burned so fast, we were adding more wood every hour or so.

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
Old 02-23-2006, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I think part of it, too, was that I had the flue wide open. DH came home and closed it a little.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 03-02-2006, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's the nature of fireplaces....they are very inefficient sources of heat actually. We have one as well and we love using it (our woodstove does not have a window) for those cold nights were we want the atmosphere or to roast marshmallows/pop corn/etc. It does keep that area warm, but it uses up a lot of wood because we keep a very hot fire going with a high flame. Ours is a large stone fireplace and as far as I know you either have the flue open or closed - no in betweens???
But those bundles from the grocery store are fast burning wood and they look pretty small as well!
Don't know that my comment helped much
Old 03-04-2006, 04:17 AM

It took me forever to learn too. LOL our woodstove doesn't have a fan hooked up, so we put a box fan on stilts behind it so that the hot air can move to other parts of the house!

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

Old 03-04-2006, 05:26 AM

ditto what everyone else said. we have a wood stove in our fireplace b/c of that reason...i would love to pop corn or roast marshmallows but it just isnt happening here. stoves have their own problems...dh doesnt really know how to operate ours and sometimes leaves the handle all the way open (you can spin it to close which allows less air in, thus longer burning time).
if you want to use the fireplace for heating next winter, i would suggest finding a wood burning stove...the best bang for your buck. and stay away from those little things of wood...they wont last long at all..we probably go through 4 of those in a day.
good luck and stay warm!
Old 03-04-2006, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all! I will definitely look into the stove thing, and tell DH to get off his butt and get us some wood.

User Tag List