Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am interested in this too: :
#3 of 13 Old 03-10-2006, 03:47 PM

Ummm yeah they do stink. My parents you didnt want to stand down wind of the vent pipe. :

The company was of no help, my parents followed the instructions, all to no avail.

Some are high so you need a step ladder so it seems. The seat/hole is so tiny that somebody like my dh couldnt do both at once.

Little kids cant deal well with the high onesas it too hard for them to get up there.

I prefer an outhouse
#4 of 13 Old 03-10-2006, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

But did it stink inside their house?

I really need a better bathroom solution. An outhouse and honey bucket is fine for my dh and I, but my dd is getting to big for her potty chair but is too little to send out to the outhouse by herself even in the summer.

Any ideas?
#5 of 13 Old 03-10-2006, 10:32 PM

I've seen some wooden potty chairs that look really big, like regular kid sized chairs. Would that help? I can't remember where, but if I find a link I will post it.
#6 of 13 Old 03-14-2006, 02:50 AM

You might want to check out this book from the library or an inner library loan. It's called Humanure. It's got everything you've ever wanted to know about compost toilets. We just borrowed it from a friend and she said it's the best book out there on the subject.

http://weblife.org/humanure/default.html
#7 of 13 Old 03-16-2006, 06:00 AM

I think it depends on the kind you have and how you manage it, but in my experience they don't have any smell. Maybe certain models don't work so well? Did the one that was stinky have a fan? We do the humanure DIY composting thing and there is no smell (but it is outside).

Hi simple living mama!
#8 of 13 Old 03-16-2006, 09:50 AM

We use an attached outhouse when we go to a cabin. After three days of 6 people using it - it still doesn't really smell. We put lime or sawdust in every time we go.

Warm wishes,
Tonya

Simple Living, Joyful Homemaking, Homeschooling Mom of 6
#9 of 13 Old 05-10-2006, 06:48 PM

We used two sawdust composting toilets (aka poop buckets) in our OTG house and it really didn't smell bad. The one in the bathroom off the bedroom (5 feet from the bed) only smelled like sawdust and the one outside didn't smell at all. Even when dumping the buckets in the compost heap the smell was surprisingly benign and what amazed me most was that after just two weeks the compost heap already had a hummusy, clean dirt smell, not sewery at all! The key is just keeping a top layer of clean sawdust (or hay or wahatever you use). And keep the lid closed. BUt really, it was not bad at all.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#10 of 13 Old 05-10-2006, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady
We used two sawdust composting toilets (aka poop buckets) in our OTG house and it really didn't smell bad. The one in the bathroom off the bedroom (5 feet from the bed) only smelled like sawdust and the one outside didn't smell at all. Even when dumping the buckets in the compost heap the smell was surprisingly benign and what amazed me most was that after just two weeks the compost heap already had a hummusy, clean dirt smell, not sewery at all! The key is just keeping a top layer of clean sawdust (or hay or wahatever you use). And keep the lid closed. BUt really, it was not bad at all.
Talk to me about this sawdust bucket thing...we live next to a lumber yard and have an unlimited supply of sawdust. Do you mean that we could just go in a bucket filled with sawdust and keep it in our house? How often do you empty your bucket, like after every poo?
#11 of 13 Old 05-12-2006, 03:49 PM

We would go get big grain bags of sawdust from the lumberyard and keep a supply next to each toilet. After each deposit you just cover it with a bit of sawdust and close the lid. When a bucket was full we'd just throw a tight fitting lid on it and leave it outside. When all of our buckets were full (we had 8 going) we'd take them all down to the compost heap with a couple buckets of hot sudsy water too. We'd dump them then do a first wash with the soapy water and a toilet brush to get any chunks out, Then we'd rinse them with cool water. All the wash water gets dumped on the compost heap too. THe dumping and wshing part was a bit of a pain because of where we'd set up the compost heap, it is as far away from the house as it's possible to get, down a narrow hilly path and we don''t have the best source of water there so we'd have to lug that too. However, we weren't sure how it would smell initially so that was why we put it so far away. I still wouldn't want it right outside the door but it could have been a lot closer!
We used corn stalks and husks to cover the heap. It's really not bad, and it sure saves a lot of water!

#12 of 13 Old 05-12-2006, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

So how long do you go between dumpings? For a family of three using just one bucket how quickly would it fill up? Does it stink horribly each time you take the lid off to go poo again?

Do you store the buckets with the lids on or off?
#13 of 13 Old 05-15-2006, 12:30 PM

We went about 2 weeks with 8 buckets. Dh would generally pee outside except for maybe the middle of the night. Peeing elsewhere definitely does extend the time between dumpings. It really doesn't smell as long as everything has a layer of sawdust on top of it. And when a bucket is in play the lid I'm talking about is just the toilet seat lid. We didn't use buckets lids until they were full and awaiting dumping.
Hope that helps!

ETA I just noticed that you are soewhere cold. That will probably make everything smell even less than it does here though you may not get such rapid composting action in the heap at lower temps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page