How do I make a clothesline? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-14-2006, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't used a clothesline since I was a kid, but now I've got a HUGE yard and lots of room for one. Any suggestions on the best kind that's sturdy?? I would love to have a pulley system one, but I'm not sure how that would work. We live in a mobile home surrounded by woods, but the nearest tree is probably too far away. What else could I hook it on? I'd love to be able to still hang out clothes in the winter and I could do this w/a pulley system. We're in NE Iowa so it might be a bit tough in the snow to do it otherwise.

Anybody have any links or personal experiences? I'm open to suggestions...it doesn't have to be a pulley system. TIA!

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!
#2 of 13 Old 04-14-2006, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I tried to search and find something for you. Didn't find too much, but maybe check these out and it might spark an idea or something? Good luck! I wish I could do a clothesline. Soon.....

http://www.pennplastics.com/pulley.htm
http://www.mrspeggshandyline.com/
http://www.bobvila.com/wwwboard/messages/75912.html

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#3 of 13 Old 04-15-2006, 09:26 PM

I have an indestructible system from Lehmans, a tree fell on the line this spring and came through unscathed. We mounted an post on our deck and run the line to a large dead tree trunk. I fear the day we have to try to erect a post to replace the tree. I love my pulley clothesline

http://lehmans.com/shopping/product/...keyword=pulley
#4 of 13 Old 04-22-2006, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asquaredmom
I have an indestructible system from Lehmans, a tree fell on the line this spring and came through unscathed. We mounted an post on our deck and run the line to a large dead tree trunk. I fear the day we have to try to erect a post to replace the tree. I love my pulley clothesline

Did you get any sagging with this system if you had heavy items like jeans on the line?

#5 of 13 Old 04-22-2006, 06:30 PM

Sagging does occur w/heavy items. My line is at 2nd story height so it is not a problem. I have king size bedding and can put it ALL on the line the line at once. The metal line can hold a lot of weight, many pairs of jeans are ok.

The Lehman kit comes with a ratcheting tightener so as the line stretches over time you can tighten it easily.

The clothesline spacer can help w/sagging. You hook it onto the line when you've got it half loaded & it rolls along the line on pulleys. I put a clothespin on either side of it so it won't run into the clothes as it moves. The "pinching" effect cuts the sag in half. If you had really heavy stuff I suppose that you could use two. My line is 75 ft. long, the kit is 50 ft. http://lehmans.com/shopping/product/...ProductID=2719

I bought mine before they offered the kit, and it was a lot more $. I did get the larger pulleys and heavy duty line...the kit comes w/the smaller pulleys and a lighter line b/c it's relatively short.

For the installation it's very important to have heavy duty screws, hooks, etc. A load of king size bedding sure can flap around in a stiff breeze!

I want a second line for the days when it has rained for a while and I want to do a LOT of laundry when we finally get a sunny day.

I got a cheapie "umbrella" dryer for smaller stuff. Got it at Meijer, they go on sales several times a year. It rotates so you could put it next to a patio for a dry place to stand while you hang stuff. I don't use mine much any more b/c the vinyl coated lines sag a lot and got funky black stuff on them...probably should have brought it in for the winter. Someday I find someone willing to replace the line for me...hopefully my dad when he visits next week, we always need to find a project for him to work on!

Lehmans also has an assortment of indoor drying racks. They are pricey but should last forever if used indoors.

HTH and happy line drying!
#6 of 13 Old 04-23-2006, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asquaredmom

I tried to explain this system to my husband the other day and I think he got whtat I was talking about but we didn't know where to actually buy one. Then, we went on the annual farm tour around here this weekend and saw one today.

Thanks for the link.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#7 of 13 Old 05-29-2006, 03:09 PM

the previous owners of our home had a large dog run hooked up outside and I use that (-:

~Susan
widowed from Marc Nov. '09(love you more babe) mom to Sophia (9) Emma (8) Lily (5) :

#8 of 13 Old 07-05-2006, 03:42 AM

omg. I didn't ever think of using our previous owners dog run lol. I've tried so many times to hang a cloths line and it always works for awhile and then sags so badly that I can't use it anymore. On any given day last summer you could find me with a kitchen chair trying to reach and tighten my clothes line. I don't know why the dog line didn't occur to me but thank you!
#9 of 13 Old 07-05-2006, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For about $30 you can get an umbrella style one that turns and you can easily take it down bring it inside if you ever choose to. I got mine from www.eclothesdryers.com but I heard Walmart also sells them now. You can fit about 3 loads of clothes on them easily, and they rotate to catch the wind to dry quickly. I love ours, even if it is kinda ugly in an old tv-antenna-sort-of-way.
#10 of 13 Old 07-06-2006, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca
For about $30 you can get an umbrella style one that turns and you can easily take it down bring it inside if you ever choose to. I got mine from www.eclothesdryers.com but I heard Walmart also sells them now. You can fit about 3 loads of clothes on them easily, and they rotate to catch the wind to dry quickly. I love ours, even if it is kinda ugly in an old tv-antenna-sort-of-way.
Can you hang heavy items on it like jeans or towels?

#11 of 13 Old 07-06-2006, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneotamama
Can you hang heavy items on it like jeans or towels?
Absolutely.
#12 of 13 Old 07-06-2006, 11:58 PM
Red

We just have a huge eye hook in a tree, with a rope to another tree, nd then another eye hook on the third tree. When it sags, I wrap the extra around the eye hook.

But I loved my pulley tht went out my upstairs bedroom window, back when my laundry room was on teh second floor.

I'm going out and buying a dog run! That sounds much spiffier!
#13 of 13 Old 07-08-2006, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

My dh took this week off for vacation. However he's been working his butt off around here. I guess I've got 2 days left to get my clothesline!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page