Is trading/bartering milk legal? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-25-2006, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to realmilk.com and found out the milk selling laws suck for my state. Does anyone know if I can legally trade milk? I have read a bit about milk-share and am considering that too, but would like to know all my options.
Thanks
Crissei

#2 of 9 Old 04-25-2006, 02:17 PM

wow, that stinks. how much would you be bartering. we barter meat (without going through the inspections it would take to legally sell it) because we barter a small amount with neighbors and friends. you could keep it on the down-low if it's with neighbors and friends... if you are milking more than one cow than milk shares are a great idea!

chicken3.gif mama knit.gif to 3 farmboys (9 reading.gif, 6 blahblah.gif & 3 notes2.gif ) and 1 farmgirl (baby.gif)
#3 of 9 Old 04-25-2006, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

I was hoping to trade a few gallons a week. The does we are buying next week are producing about a gal. a day each right now.
Hmm, just had an idea. Maybe I could trade some milk for hay. That would be cool.
If not, I guess I will be eating ALOT of cheese!
#4 of 9 Old 05-02-2006, 07:19 PM

Wish you lived here, I have a deal to trade my home baked bread for eggs from a friend with chickens I'd love to trade for milk too.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#5 of 9 Old 05-03-2006, 07:24 PM

Where can I find the laws regarding bartering/selling eggs? TIA! P.S. If you lived here I would gladly trade for some of that milk!

#6 of 9 Old 05-03-2006, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

What I have read is that selling eggs is legal to friends,neighbors or at a roadside stand but not to restaurants or stores. I think I read it in "The Encyc. of Country Living". But if you want to find out for sure you could check with your county extension agent.

Its just as well that we aren't near by. I have 4 doz. eggs in the fridge right now and another dozen on the way tomorrow!
I guess I have to go on a Lacto-Ova diet.... as in ONLY milk and eggs!

#7 of 9 Old 05-04-2006, 12:03 PM

I'll barter home sewn diapers for goat milk, well when we get moved up there that is

I don't know the ins and outs of VA's laws, but I've been considering joining a co-op for goat milk.

Sadly it's confusing what can and cannot be done with VA adopting some NAIS laws.

BTW goat milk makes awsome tart yogurt and devine icecream, so don't limit yourself to butter and cheese.

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#8 of 9 Old 05-07-2006, 10:52 AM

Here in Minnesota, the law is that you may not advertise, nor really tell anyone that you have milk for sale. The customer must bring their own container. So the way to find out is to ask through the grapevine - at farmer's markets & such farmers will be really cadgey about it unless they know you well.

Another alternative that we've just started here is to "own" a share in a goat - that way the milk is yours, even if someone else is raising/feeding/milking/breeding it. It's all a legal fiction, but it fulfills the letter of the law.

Also - goat milk can often be easier to find, depending where you are - more small-scale producers. I LOVE our local goat milk! It doesn't have that really goaty aftertaste that the canned stuff has - even the picky husband can't tell the difference. Goat cheese (chevre) is the simplest thing in the world to make, too. And it can be used in the place of cream cheese & ricotta in any recipes, too.
#9 of 9 Old 05-07-2006, 10:54 AM

Oh yeah - and according to the law, you also have to go to the farm to pick it up - they can't bring it to you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page