Chickens/Ducks/Rabbits in the North - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-26-2006, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm really interested in having chickens/ducks/rabbits but I'm in Thunder Bay, Ontario and the winters get to be -20 to -40. I don't have a heated garage or shed and I live in the city. Is it possible to keep these animals here in the winter. Killing them for food isn't an option.

Thanks in advance,

Jen
#2 of 4 Old 05-05-2006, 05:18 AM

I can't believe noone answered this....

The answer is yes. DEFINATELY!!! I live in northern Maine (USA) and there are many weeks in the deep dark winter that it can reach -20 to -40. and tons of folks raise chickens, rabbits and many many other small livestock animals here.
Rabbits are a great winter animal, they put on extra fur in the winter that helps them keep warm. when raising rabbits in cold climates there are a few tricks though.
1. keep a good supply of unfrozen water available (not arm water, just unfrozen) I use heavy ceramic bowls in the winter and change them 3 or 4 times a day. but there are many "heated" watering systems available.
2. when using wire cages (which are prefered over hutches) make sure the rabbit has a place to sit that is off the wire. I use a square of 1/4 inch plywood that covers about 1/4 of the cage floor.
3. It is VERY important that the animal be kept out of the wind. an airtight building isnt necessary and may be detrimental to a rabbits health in most cases, but a draft can be deadly at colder temperatures.
4 don't breed your raqbbits in the winter if you are not heating the "rabbit house" the stress is too much for the doe, and most babies will be eaten by a stressed mother.
5. if you know you are going to have an extraordinary cold spell, add some straw to the cages the rabbits will nest in it and do just fine.

as far as chickens... the water rule applies to them as well.
unlike rabbits, chickens don't know much abot nesting so the best thing to do is build them a small, well insulated coop with a heated water source. and put them all in the same space. I have my chickens in a 8ft by 8ft insulated room in the barn and last winter i went in there and it was 12 degrees inside and 30 below outside...the chicken all lived through the cold winter just fine.

by the way 18 chickens wintered in that room.

I hope this helps you and others. and good luck.
#3 of 4 Old 05-06-2006, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I had just about given up on this thread.
#4 of 4 Old 05-06-2006, 04:54 PM

Just wanted to add that we live just 15 miles from the Canadian border and kept our chickens in a little play house that we converted to a coop and it is not even really insulated. It measures just 6X4 and the 6 chickens did just fine in there through the winter.

Warm wishes,
Tonya - Simple Living Mom of 5

Simple Living, Joyful Homemaking, Homeschooling Mom of 6

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page