Those with "farm animals", Is the goverment really making you keep track? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-02-2006, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heard that in some states a law is being passed : ....government wants anyone with chickens or cows to record ANYONE who comes to your property & you have to call & report it daily. Might be passed in more states soon? Something about "preventing spread of bird flu & mad cow disease" but my dad says they are just trying to be "Big Brother" about it, kwim? Are they trying to discourage people from being able to provide for themselves so we have to rely on stores for eggs/milk etc? Is this even true? It does sort of make it seem like such a hassle....

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2006, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure where the legislation is by state (whether pending, passed, or failed) but we have written our senators in regarding this issue. I'm pretty confident MI will fight it all the way so it hopefully won't be an immediate thing to get torqued about. It does reek of big brother and isolation/separation of food production - easy to make it fit into a greater conspiracy theory
Old 05-02-2006, 01:35 PM

Yes, it's called NAIS and it won't just be state, it will be federal.

Learn about it here http://www.stopanimalid.org/index.php
Old 05-02-2006, 01:40 PM

WOW! That's ridiculous! So far I haven't had anyone ask for my info. We buy all of our eggs, meat and milk between two different farms. I'll have to ask them if they have heard about it. I know the 'egg lady' is concerned about what might happen, but she wasn't specific about what might happen though.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Banned

What chickens? I don't have any chickens. Those are funny colored pigeons

*That's my story and I'm sticking to it.*

Seriously, I've never been asked and I have a small flock that's easily hidden inside my house if need be. I've never been especially compliant with any "laws" or "rules" so why start now?
Old 05-02-2006, 09:58 PM

Here's another really good site on the subject, with printable flyers and stuff. http://nonais.org/
Old 05-02-2006, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sweeties1Angel
I've never been especially compliant with any "laws" or "rules" so why start now?
Yup.

I swear, the older I get and the more screwed up the government becomes I'm convinced that I'm going to end up as a hermit.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
Old 05-03-2006, 12:46 AM

This has been discussed on the local radio (I'm in Iowa, where farming related news makes it on the mainstream talk radio programs). Their "expert" said he thought it would be like the law that dictates how pesticide containers and the like are disposed of. Technically, it's illegal to dump your empty Round-up spray bottle in your regular trash, but the government doesn't bother enforcing that law for city-folk. They mostly target the big farms.

Frankly, that doesn't make me feel any better. 1) I think the ones hardest hit by this regulation will be the small, family farms & acreages. 2) The fact that it's not being enforced yet doesn't mean that it won't be in the future. In the case of containers containing toxic chemicals, that's a good thing, but in the case of families who own 1-10 "farm" animals for their own personal enjoyment/food, not so much.

One arguement the "expert" made was that foreign countries are pushing for this. Japan, for example, wants to be sure that they aren't importing beef from sick cows. He also stated that compliance with the "voluntary" reporting would allow small farmers to sell to big companies like McDonalds. Of course, he failed to mention that it would be an unnecessary expense for those who have no intention of EVER selling to Japan or McDonalds. Further, places like McDonalds don't even WANT to buy organic, free range beef!

Ulrike, mom to:
Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)
Old 05-03-2006, 08:17 PM

Quote:
What chickens? I don't have any chickens. Those are funny colored pigeons

*That's my story and I'm sticking to it.*

Seriously, I've never been asked and I have a small flock that's easily hidden inside my house if need be. I've never been especially compliant with any "laws" or "rules" so why start now?
:

Old 05-03-2006, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha_girl
Yup.

I swear, the older I get and the more screwed up the government becomes I'm convinced that I'm going to end up as a hermit.
And :

Old 05-15-2006, 04:51 PM

I drove past a field of cows this weekend (as I've done thousands of times since childhood), and they had orange tags on their ears! Is the government really doing this???

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

Old 05-15-2006, 08:02 PM

Quote:
I've never been especially compliant with any "laws" or "rules" so why start now?

This is really one of the strangest things I have heard...

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 05-15-2006, 08:06 PM

It's obvious that the government have too much time on their hands. My dad has about 10 cows and I never seen any tags on their ears.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:12 PM

The cows around here always have tags on their ears. I've seen it for a long time...I always thought it was the way that the owner kept track of a large herd.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
Old 05-15-2006, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm

This is really one of the strangest things I have heard...
Really, it's not strange at all. This is what governments do. It is their nature to control. That's what men created government for, to control others that may inflict harm on them, why are they all of a sudden suprised when the government turns around to control them too? It's all for our safety ya know . Oh, and this is only a taste of what's to come. They want us used to the idea of microchips. Really it has nothing to do with the animals or our safety, it's just a test.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey228
Yes, it's called NAIS and it won't just be state, it will be federal.

Learn about it here http://www.stopanimalid.org/index.php
Thanks for the link, I mistakenly thought this would come up for a state vote before being put into practice federally. This month's Countryside (and last month's) both had great articles about NAIS. The regulations and reporting procedures are absolutely ludicrous. The producers must report comings/goings/births/deaths - are you kidding me??? How in the heck is the enforcement of this program going to be funded? The fact the large scale producers can have 1 ID for thousands of animals, but small scale must have an ID on each animal is unbelievable and just makes this program another "clean skies" type initiative, that will in NO WAY do what it's intended purpose is. As of right now the program is voluntary - so as long as you don't raise your hand to register your land/ farm/ animals, there isn't jack big bro can do. I belive the RIFD chips can be scrambled with a big magnet too

Lots of folks ear tag their cattle for their own and FDA records already, probably what you saw in the field.

The ambiguousness (is that even a word?) is what bothers me - if the rules aren't clear there is way too much room for interpretation by folks in the back pocket of big Agri-business -who brought us GMO & GME products on the down-low (but still legal):
Old 05-15-2006, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Really, it's not strange at all. This is what governments do. It is their nature to control. That's what men created government for, to control others that may inflict harm on them, why are they all of a sudden suprised when the government turns around to control them too? It's all for our safety ya know . Oh, and this is only a taste of what's to come. They want us used to the idea of microchips. Really it has nothing to do with the animals or our safety, it's just a test.
Exactamundo!
Old 05-16-2006, 11:22 AM

There are also ear tags that have pesticides in them (for flys).

Also if you show animals (sheep and goats too) and you need certain vaccinations for show and travel a vet needs a way to identify the animal. Usually it's a tatoo or ear tag.

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
Old 05-16-2006, 02:05 PM

I was just sent this in an email. PLEASE WRITE YOUR REPRESENTATIVE!! http://action.downsizedc.org/wyc.php?cid=46 it will only take a second of your time, they send a letter on your behalf asking them to stop the NAIS.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:19 PM

thanks for this info.
My aunt raises goats and sells the milk word of mouth.
I will share this with her!

I heard about an Amish farmer in Ohio who got in big trouble for taking $2 for some milk. He refused the money apparently and the man made him take it so he said he'd give it to (charity, something or other) and he was being watched. The guy was an undercover FDA agent. He almost lost his entire farm. I will look this up so i have the whole story.
http://www.oacountry.com/raw_milk1.htm

this is craziness!

I remember when i was little seeing signs on someones front gate or mail box that they sell fresh eggs - brown or white. Havent seen that in a long time.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:37 PM

Quote:
I was just sent this in an email. PLEASE WRITE YOUR REPRESENTATIVE!! http://action.downsizedc.org/wyc.php?cid=46 it will only take a second of your time, they send a letter on your behalf asking them to stop the NAIS.
Signed and passed along. Thanks for the link

User Tag List