Quick! How do I clean a well without chlorine??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-09-2006, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mother and her boyfriend have been helping us get our property ready to be lived on, and we're dealing with the well right now. They're both INSISTING that I MUST use chlorine and that there's NO other way to make the water safe. I have stated plainly that I will not allow chlorine on my property. I am so worried that they are going to put chlorine in my well behind my back with the attitude of "what Alice doesn't know won't hurt her." I am positive that there are natural products that work just as well as chlorine. Tea tree oil is one of them, is it not? I need to know how many drops of TTO per gallon of water equals the cleaning/sanitizing/disinfecting power of a gallon of chlorine. I need to know if there is a natural alternative that isn't as expensive as TTO. And I need information that I can print out that will convince them that a natural product works just as well as chlorine.

Help!

Thank you in advance!

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#2 of 5 Old 05-09-2006, 08:21 PM

I can't say for sure but check into Hydrogen Peroxide. It oxidizes organics like chlorine but converts to water and oxygen when its done.
#3 of 5 Old 05-10-2006, 09:11 PM

You can install a whole-house UV filter. Not cheap, but not as expensive as you might think.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#4 of 5 Old 05-10-2006, 09:13 PM

our local water authority uses ammonia....gee, ammonia or chlorine...decisions decisions.... PS I would email or call a sustainable community farm like THe Farm in Summertown Tenn. I bet they would know!
#5 of 5 Old 05-10-2006, 09:23 PM

Use the 35% percent Hydrogen Peroxide for your well. You could do a google search to find more info.

Chlorine will rot out your well casing, while H2O2 will do no damage.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page