Intentional Community Opportunity in California - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-09-2006, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
See http://www.inuniversity.org/

INU is part of a co-operative effort to establish the Community of Ozena in which Indian Nations University, along with Ozena Montessori Elementary School and Lemuria Healing Center Retreat are to be the Hub.

We are establishing an Intentional Community near the Indian Nations University site on 160 acres. The theme for this project is an Artist Community Co-op and will follow a Green building guideline. This project is intended to raise funds for Indian Nations University. With the approval of the Co-op an individual will be able to lease 2 acres of land for for 1 year at $300. per month. On this land the individual will be able to place a yurt or dome or build a cob, adobe or other type of dwelling that fits with the aesthetics of the land and will be responsible for his or her own necessities. 50 sites are available now! Individuals interested can contact Maiwo, INU Project Director Maiwo.
The initial phase is to establish a Native American presence, with a Cultural Center emphasizing Chumash Culture to which each University established in other areas will represent the Native American Cultures in their area.

At this time we have a proposal from Habitat for Humanity's Ventura County Chapter to build 180 homes following their 60 page Green Building Guidelines. Fifty percent (50%) of these homes will go to qualified Native Americans and the other 50% to qualified low income families who will pay approximately $500 a month for their mortgage. Please see the link to Habitat for Humanity's Green Building Guide Lines and Home Owner Qualifications applications. This is all pending acquisition of the 1300 acres offered to the Chumash Tribe as a whole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2006, 05:12 PM

Interesting.

Old 05-10-2006, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, Sohj! I miss you!

To clarify, the "we" isn't me. I cut and pasted the info from the site I referenced.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:00 PM

I'll e-mail you back, I promise. Really. I've been swamped for months and am just getting organized.

Back on topic.

I was wondering, though, about the water/septic issue. I know no one wants to put in infrastructure; but, some kind of centralised planning about this might be a good idea. Otherwise, there might be some people going off in all directions and ending up with a poorly functioning system that causes problems for others.

I skimmed this .pdf ( http://www.habitatventura.org/Green%20Guidelines.PDF ) for a different HFH project for guidelines and didn't see any mention of the septic treatment methods.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Good point. Water collection can be fun, but there's no getting around sewage. Composting toilets? Incinerating toilets? It'll be interesting to see how they handle this.

o.t.p.s. "Don't hate the media, become the media." Who woulda thought two healthy eating moms like us would be quoting somebody named jello?
Old 05-11-2006, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy
o.t.p.s. "Don't hate the media, become the media." Who woulda thought two healthy eating moms like us would be quoting somebody named jello?
There's always room for jello! Besides, I can't resist someone who says things like:
Quote:
Punk rock will never die, until something more dangerous replaces it.
and
Quote:
For every prohibition you create you also create an underground.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Two thumbs up!
Old 05-25-2006, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy
See http://www.inuniversity.org/ <>
At this time we have a proposal from Habitat for Humanity's Ventura County Chapter to build 180 homes following their 60 page Green Building Guidelines.
SoHappy, are you in VC yourself? There are a few cohousing folk in our local AP Moms group in VC (link in sig). I'm going to pass this link along to them. Thanks!

Mama to two amazing homeschooling boys born in 1999 and 2002
Old 05-25-2006, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Nope, I'm up in SLO.

User Tag List