Pigs, chickens, gardens, solar, what makes you off the grid??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-13-2006, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
Red

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought all the farming, growing, organic, chicken lovin' folks were over at digging in the earth. Then I find a whole new group.

So, we have 3 pigs, 13 hens, and an order of 17 more on the way, a good sized garden, berries, no furnace (just a woodstove) and we sell cordwood.

What do you have, do, want that makes you an 'off the grid' type?
#2 of 9 Old 05-14-2006, 10:34 PM

Hi, Red. I think the "Country Living" part counts as much as off the grid! Lots of wannabes hang out here, too (that's me).

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#3 of 9 Old 05-15-2006, 12:57 AM

What took ya so long, Red? I think Country living/ OTG is the continuum of those people who are big time country livers and then those who are just checking it out. The title is kind of misleading because many urban, grid tied dwellers have lots of info to share and are on similar trips. We aren't connected to the grid, are building a passive solar strawbale, have an 11 acre farm with chickens, goats, bees, ducks, permaculture garden, etc. those are my creds, but I think all are welcome here. I have been planning on hitting you up for piggy info next year.

BTW- Hi Monica!
#4 of 9 Old 05-15-2006, 01:01 PM

I'm a wannabe. We're country living but our house is old and making it more environmentally friendly is an expensive venture.

Of course, the irony we've discovered is that it's expensive to live simply!

But so far we've managed, on our 17 acre farm, to get some chickens (also ducks and guineas, but they all live together so I lump them together), a goat (we're looking to get more this weekend), and a large garden. Our goal for the summer is to install a wood-burning stove, and our goal for next spring is to add sheep, bees, and make maple syrup. We also plan on slowly building an orchard.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#5 of 9 Old 05-16-2006, 06:59 PM

I have 22 chickens right now. Ducks in the incubator. More chicken eggs in the incubator soon...

BUT I don't know how off the grid I am. I don't have the chickens for food. I have the fancy chickens and they're our pets. -shrug-

I'll have a garden soon, but it's for the chickens. LOL SO says I am nuts since I cook my chickens food and go to the store for fresh veggies and fruits for them. LOL

Wife to 1~Mom to 5 ages brand new to 12~Rural Mail Carrier~Keeper of 2 dogs, 1 cat & a flock of chickens :
#6 of 9 Old 05-17-2006, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
Red

Asher, do you eat the eggs? I haven't been aboe to actually KILL a hen and eat it yet. I love them so.

You can usually get FREE produce if you tell teh people working you want some greens for your hens. I get huge boxes a few times a week to cook for my pigs.

Uh, yeah, I cook for the piggy boys. THis morning they're having apples, pasta and carrots!
#7 of 9 Old 05-17-2006, 08:07 AM

We haven't, but we also have only gotten two eggs so far! I currently have two young pullets who should be laying any time now, two hens who just hatched a clutch before I bought them (no clue when they'll lay) one rooster, four smaller babies (2-4mths old) and then 13 babies (2-3wks old).

When we start getting eggs, I will be selling them on eggbid/ebay as hatching eggs since most of them are the show quality frou frou butt kind. Then I'll use that money towards buying more feed and treats for them. LOL

They certainly don't earn their keep unless you count entertainment! hehe

I'll have to try that at the store or what not next time. Right now I've just been buying the stuff that they need to get rid of quick so marked down and then I'll feed it to them that night. Last night they had a supper of cooked rice and oatmeal with watermelon and cantaloupe on the side. Spoiled, I tell ya!

Wife to 1~Mom to 5 ages brand new to 12~Rural Mail Carrier~Keeper of 2 dogs, 1 cat & a flock of chickens :
#8 of 9 Old 05-18-2006, 01:42 PM

I live in the country, but I'm really just a wannabe for now. I just bought our house 1 1/2 years ago, but we do have big plans. Garden, one day some animals, most likely chickens and rabbits. It just takes tiime, some times. I get jelous driving down the road, looking at everybody elses nice gardens.
#9 of 9 Old 05-18-2006, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter
Red

shanesmama, it took me 16 years to get the darn fence up!

Start small! I had some brick form a neighbor and built a raised bed with them and filled them with compost. Small, but I could grow a few things. Whaddaya got?

Are ya gonna eat the bunnies??? I wich I could cause they sure are prolific, but so far I haven't been able to get there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page