My chicks are here! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-15-2006, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We picked them up from the hatchery at noon today and all 26 (apparently we got a bonus chick- probably a rooster for warmth) are installed happily in the brooder. They are just darling, little balls of fluff that are either fast asleep or zooming around like missiles.

I'm going to drag out my McMurray catalog, since they have pictures of chicks by the adult birds, to try and figure out what I got. They are assorted layers, at least 3 breeds and there were about 7 types that could be included.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2006, 06:13 PM

those chicks. Ours are one week and a couple of days old now. You'll probably have a very hard time figuring out what kind you have. Did you have chicks before (if I remember you from posting last week)?
Old 05-15-2006, 09:48 PM

I love when they are little and fluffy!!!!!! Have fun with them and enjoy bthe fresg eggs~~~

M,partner to D,mama to Sofia (6/01), Madeline(11/04), and Quin(2/08)  Hoping for a tubal reversal baby SOON after the proceduremakebabe.gif

Old 05-15-2006, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

I've raised two other batches of chicks over the years, plus various hens have hatched and raised their own broods. I've narrowed down the breed options to Buff Orpington, White Rock, Golden Comet, and Rhode Island Reds by comparing them to the pictures of the chicks on the McMurray site, though my possible RIR's are much darker. There are 10 yellow ones and 16 darker red ones. When they start feathering out it should be pretty easy to figure out what I have.

I am, of course, all crazy running downstairs every half hour to check that the brooder is the right temperature!
Old 05-16-2006, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pygmywombat
I am, of course, all crazy running downstairs every half hour to check that the brooder is the right temperature!
I didn't bother with checking the temperature. I just hoped that it would be warm enough. After about 5 days they started staying away from the heat light more.
Sadly, one of the chicks got smushed by the waterer, DH didn't see the chick and put the waterer on her. I found her later that evening. And the next day, another one was found dead, we think that the other ones trambled her.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:20 AM

Yay! Good luck with your chicks - I am trying to persuade dh that we should get some bantam chicks next year!
Old 05-26-2006, 02:50 PM

how are the chicks?!

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!
Old 05-26-2006, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Wonderful! They are feathering out and confusing everyone as to what breeds they are. Most don't even vaguely resemble the breeds listed in the assortment. They are getting to big I am going to have to open up the brooder in the next week or so to give them more space (its one big metal stock tank divided in the middle).

User Tag List