Housing, farmland, and pesticides - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-15-2006, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tried this in TAO first, now I am trying here! Does anyone have any knowledge or experience in this area?

We are looking to buy some land and there are some parcels available nearby, but they are on land that is currently being used for row crops: strawberries, broccoli, lettuce, cabbage... you know, low pesticide crops. ha ha. The soil has to be contaminated, and I cannot picture allowing my kids to play in it. Not only that but the surrounding areas are still in production, for now anyway. This seems like an issue not just for our family, but for any family looking to buy. So much agricultural land is being converted into housing, usually high density housing, so there are a lot of people in this situation.

What facts are out there about this topic? Are there studies that show results of living on former ag. land? Is there anything that people can do to reduce the contamination in the soil (like some crop that magically absorbs it all? I can dream, right?) Or is this just a reality that families have to live with if they chose to buy in these locations? I know this thread could go in all sorts of directions, but I am primarily looking for information.
#2 of 5 Old 05-15-2006, 04:58 PM

You'd be entitled to get a few soil and water samples for analysis. You could then take those samples to your county/city office and seek further advice. Let them do the run around for you or at very least, advise you on the next step - maybe there'd be some costs involved but it might be worth it. I'm not a US citizen, but this is what I would do in my home country if looking to buy land in a crop-growing area.

I don't know the restrictions on ag-chemicals here but I would assume the toxins used on the crops you mentioned would have a fairly short half life. There will always be residue from these chemicals - even if they are supposedly 'biodegradable'. So I would advise caution, but not paranoia. You could well be onto a good thing for a good price. Just be sure to do the homework.
#3 of 5 Old 05-15-2006, 05:01 PM

i think "organic standards" requiere that soil sit fallow or be farmed organically for 2 yers before the certification is given. so i'd assume 2 yrs would take care of a lot of the problem. still I'd have testing done
#4 of 5 Old 05-15-2006, 05:09 PM

How can you get organic certification after only two years when your neighbours are still using all the chemicals? I know it goes in grades, but still.... ?
#5 of 5 Old 05-15-2006, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

The soil and water samples are a great idea, thank you! This land is really in a great location at a great price... I like the caution not paranoia thought. If anyone else has anything to add, I am still listening!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page