First Day...and I LOVE you guys! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-17-2006, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I came on to this site by accident this morning, when I was looking on the net about making my own solar cooker-- so totally hooked now that I haven't left my chair all morning, reading all of the wonderful and exciting information to be found here. !!

My husband and I have been talking about an "Off Grid" life-style for some time. I do as much as I can here at home, but we rent so I'm kind of limited. I do make my own laundry soap, have a garden (would really like to know how to build some boxes for the gardening so I can do it year round), and re-use everything, right down to the meshy-plastic bag things that oranges come in (make pot scrubbers).

I grew up in East Texas with next to nothing-- if we didn't grow it or kill it in our own back yard; we didn't eat it. But we were healthy and happy. I would love to find a nice piece of earth here in New Mexico to teach ths life to my son one day, but for now will have to make due with making us less grid dependant where we are and hope that he will catch on.

I really must get out of this chair and get on to chores, but I promise I will be back soon-- You guys have a wonderful board, Thank you.

P.S. anyone else in NM?
#2 of 7 Old 05-17-2006, 05:12 PM

Just wanted to welcome you, Mommy2001! I'm in N. Texas, and trying to be as self-sufficient as possible. We have a huge garden, chickens, guinea fowl, and a horsie. We hunt squirrels, rabbit, and deer in the woods on our property, and will hopefully be able to get a start on our meat rabbits this fall. I'd love to have a couple of dairy goats to cross w/meat goats (eat the offspring), but so far, not yet, lol. Anyway, glad you found a home at MDC, and check out all the other boards. There are some great ones here!!!

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#3 of 7 Old 05-17-2006, 05:44 PM

Welcome! This is an addictive forum, isn't it? I find myself searching it often

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#4 of 7 Old 05-17-2006, 10:03 PM

I love this forum it is great to read and learn about all different families and wht they are doing to help themselves and the enviroment

M,partner to D,mama to Sofia (6/01), Madeline(11/04), and Quin(2/08)  Hoping for a tubal reversal baby SOON after the proceduremakebabe.gif

#5 of 7 Old 05-18-2006, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry it took so long to get back to everyone, and thank you all for the welcome. I guess I'm not as much of a "wanna be geek" as I thought I was-- everytime I looked at the main page, I could see that there were replies to my thread, but then when I would click on the thread the only thing I could see was my original post-- think I got it now.

There is soooo much information thoughout this entire board, I don't think I will ever be able to get through it all.

I grew up in East Texas, as I said, but was born in Oregon and lived there until just after Mt. Saint Helen's blew (I was like 9 then). I went back as an adult and lived there for about a minute, till I joined the USAF. Then after a couple of tries at marriage, I landed here in NM where I have been married for 8 years. Before circumstances caused us to move to "town", we lived in a rural area where I went as green as I could-- still had electricity and gas, but everything else was as it was when I came up-- I guess you can take the tree hugger out of the forest, but...

Anyway, now we're here in town because our son has CP and he needed some therapies and such that we couldn't really get for him where we were living. Now, however, he's older and doesn't need as much help as he used to and we are once again thinking about moving back to the country We're not in a position to buy right now due to our son's medical expenses, but you never know what could happen.

Right now, I'm just trying to find ways to help us save for our land one day, but I don't think my husband could go completely unplugged-- me iether for that matter; I'ld have to have a generator or something to run my computer-- need that people connection.

As I said, I make my own laundry soap (would love a new recipie if someone has one or a lead to link...), but currently I use a machine-- I've looked into a manual machine-- I have nothing against a wringer or a closeline (except for the long braid of hair I lost to an electric wringer when I was a kid), but I'm wondering: Will I really save? If I use the wash water now, for the garden; then go to one of the manual machines (crank style) which uses less water, so I would have to water the garden from the hose, wont I end up using the same amount of water as I do now? I've done some research into rain water storage and re-use, but we don't get much here and when we do, its like we're being spit at; nothing substantial. I would love any advice or suggestions on this that anyone has. My hubby has never had to do without in his whole life, someone has always been there to take care of him (me included), I just think that if I could start things on a small scale-- a step at a time, then one day, the straw house that I dream of, and he "talks" about, could one day come to light.

~Christy~
#6 of 7 Old 05-18-2006, 12:28 PM

Christy, I need to start making my laundry detergent again. I used Kirk's Castille soap, washing soda, and , gosh, I can't remember, lol! I think that's it! I dont' even know if I still have the recipe. I got tired of waiting on dh to put up a clothesline, so I did that yesterday. Speaking of....I need to hang a load. I read somewhere that someone cut their electricity bill in HALF w/a clothesline, so here I am trying it. We just lost my MIL's income (she had to go to a nursing home on Medicaid), so we are pretty tight. I'm trying to cut back on things as much as I can. My garden is growing, growing.....I have no idea about the water issue....We don't collect our rain just because we kinda get spit at, too, lol. If it rains, it rains well, but most of the time it seems like it doesn't do much. We've had quite a drought (N. TX), and it's getting pretty dusty again out there after our last bout of rain....

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#7 of 7 Old 05-20-2006, 11:12 PM
Red

Welcome! This is a fun place, isn't it.

I started with food, so as not to disturb my family! Can things, grow things, eventually, they think it was their idea!

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page