Best off the grid location- Tell me about you! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-18-2006, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Right now we live in Idaho on .5 acre, not enough for our long term goals. We (that we know of right now) wont ever be able to afford a good amount of land here because of demand. So where do you live and is the cost of land reasonable. How many acres do you live on? Would you reccomend your area/state for off the grid living? Tell me all you can/want.

Right now we have been looking at KY, NY and ME. We are open to anything really except the southwest as I would die if I had to deal with that much dry heat!

The things we want to do are:

Solar power, possibly wind
pasture for cow
chickens and ducks
pond
HUGE organic garden
Berries
wood heating- so wood available on property or close by

I think thats about it right now. Share with me please.

Kim- Simple livin' mama to 4 great kiddos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2006, 01:26 PM

PA, is the most rural state in our country, or at least its residential, census stated us as that, w/ 60% being covered in forest.

If you live in western PA, you are living in more of the valley or hilly lands, were as the northeast you are living in the appalachians, were I live. I wouldn't consider it backwards, or totally living off the grid, unfortunatlly we are very mainstream. But I live on only one acre of land, but that borders our grandparents house, there are two feilds behind us of about 10 acres, or so. There are large fields, all around us, w/ cows, horses, etc. We are considered wetlands, so tons of lakes, streams, good well water to drink, tons of people have wood stoves, normal for our area. We just cut down a dead tree and dontated it to the church to give to poor and ederly people for heat.

Gardens, lot of people have gardens around here, as big as you want.

PA, you can be as close or as far away from society as you want to be.

Monroe County-Heart of the Poconos is a little more populated, beautiful place still, or Northern Wayne COunty (close to upstate NY), less populated more islotated.

I LOVE PA!

The only thing is if you don't like cold weather, but then again you stated NY, so I'm guessing you don't have a problem w/ that. At least NEPA, Upstate NY, definatlly 4 season type of weather, winters being alittle harsher then most areas.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:36 PM

Ohh, and I see you mentioned berries. We have tons of wild strawberries, black berries, rasberries, blueberrys, and they can get huge, if you go into the woods for them. I love to pick berries off the bush and eat them.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Ohhhh it sounds wonderful! We dont mind the cold, we actually prefer it. I do have a general NE question though- what is the typical growing season? What month does the last frost happen?

PA question- What are land prices like around you?

For us here 6 miles outside of a 3500 pop town on .5 acre with no water rights we paid mid 80's. So how does your area compare to that?

Old 05-18-2006, 06:20 PM

Well, Taos is called the "solar capital of the world" but I am not going to convince you that it is the place to be.
While many people love it here, like Julia Roberts, it has its hardships as far as getting sustainable go. Still, I can't think of another town in this country where more people are going green. Taos is currently working on a gas-production from our landfill that would be available at the local pumps.
Water is the main issue out here and yet people still thrive.
We have a solar-powered radio station and many of the builders are converting to more "green" standards. Unfortunately you won't find any pasture unless you have lots of $$ because the land with pasture is either really far out of town or really expensive. That is probably why there are animals that are better adapted to these kinds of conditions like the churro sheep that can live on underbrush.

Anyhow, thought I'd add that in. I love it out here but often long for a greener, softer enviro for the family.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlinsmom
Ohhhh it sounds wonderful! We dont mind the cold, we actually prefer it. I do have a general NE question though- what is the typical growing season? What month does the last frost happen?

PA question- What are land prices like around you?

For us here 6 miles outside of a 3500 pop town on .5 acre with no water rights we paid mid 80's. So how does your area compare to that?

I am from PA as well, NEPA, and land is pretty cheap up this way. But as the other poster stated winters can be rough up our way (stupid lake effect snow!) Currently we live in the city, I just read and post here because I want to live vicariously though you all lol
Old 05-19-2006, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlinsmom

The things we want to do are:

Solar power, possibly wind
pasture for cow
chickens and ducks
pond
HUGE organic garden
Berries
wood heating- so wood available on property or close by

I think thats about it right now. Share with me please.
We are in Michigan and have done/are heading toward all the stuff on your list. Our energy system will have to be a combination of sun and wind, as Michigan weather can be extremely fickle, and we have the wonderful lake effect snow as well. Property here is running between 3,000 and 6,000 an acre for rural (within 10 minutes of a grocerystore/ small town [less than 7,000] - 45 minutes outside of larger cities) farm land/ woods. Being close to the water is a definite bonus too. We are on 80 acres off a dirt road, there are 5 houses in our mile I think, so we're really country. Through the link in my sig you can check out the area, the albums "the view", and "dome home" will probably have the most pertinent photos. Good luck with your search!
Old 05-19-2006, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. We love the snow, rain, cold ect. If we had the money we would live in Oregon.....ahhhh dreams. Anyway I will check out PA and MI. Taos is gorgeous but I couldnt handle that much dry heat all the time.

Anyone from the South?

User Tag List