Did farm-life/off-grid life turn out to be harder than you thought? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-18-2006, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering.

We lived in a yurt for 2 years and are moving back to the mountains this summer. I know what I am getting into as far as living that way again. What is different is that the place I lived before was all set up from 30 years of communal life and work creating the ecovillage/retreat center that I lived at. All I had to do was take what I wanted and move in. Now that we are building, moving, creating the whole scene, it is a bit more difficult that I expected. I am up for the fun/challenge but I think with finishing the remodel in town, husband finishing building a house for someone else, having 2 kids, etc. I am really feeling the crunch of the timing of our venture.

We got chicks yesterday and are starting to move in the direction of sustainability, it is a lot of work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2006, 11:32 PM
Red

Yeah, it's more work than I expected. But not unbearable. HOw old are your kids?

When mine were young I ofund it a lot harder, but we had 8 pigs the year the twins were 2, dd was 4, ds was 9 and dd 12. And if I'd have had a FENCE, (just got it put up this year, and I'm still freaking out with joy!) we'd have had veggies, but the wild life ate all I planted.:

Start small. Chickens are fun and easy to raise. The first time is hard, because you're learning as you go. Next time it will jsut be a few minutes a day.

Good luck with your new venture!
Old 05-19-2006, 12:16 AM

Starting from scratch was really hard for me. When my youngest was born last fall I had a really hard time and had to keep reminding myself that women live this way all the time and that I would learn to handle the workload. Sometimes after putting the kids to bed, nursing, milking, watering, feeding, etc I am working till 10 at night just to keep on top of things. I think as the kids grow and our systems get more streamlined it will be easier. I think it helps to learn to be flexible with timelines and to figure out what you really need for your happiness and make that a priority. So we have a little rechargable DVD player (charges in the car) so dh and I can watch a movie together, or I always have some good escapist fiction laying around for when I am nursing so I can have a few minutes sort of to myself. Sounds like you have a really full plate right now.

User Tag List